Skip to main content

The trend is down

While there is still quite a bit of scatter (and those are 6 month moving average data points), everything that counts, i.e. lymphocytes, platelets and hemoglobin, are slowly moving down. I only wish the platelets and hemoglobin were moving in the opposite direction of the lymphocytes , then I might be a lot happier. Just not sure how that opposite trend bodes.





Comments

ed said…
so it looks like all counts were up in 12/2010, and since then are moving down.- are they alarmingly low?
Marc said…
Well, you really have to filter out the scatter, even using a 6 month moving average.

If I had plotted the data from day one you would see the trend for hemoglobin and platelets are down, and continuing down. It's just been a very slow trend down. Lymphocytes originally moved up until about '08, and are now on a downward path, which would be a good thing, if the hemoglobin and platelets were rising. That just isn't the case.

The platelets are not at an alarmingly low rate, but they're not far off. I've just never been an overly optimistic person, so I always expect the worse.
John Longmore said…
Great blog - I find it easy reading and captivating.

Good luck with your fight - I too have mcl and are in early remission.

Just a dumb question - what blog provider do you use?

Kindest regards

John l
Alan Posner said…
I'm not at all impressed. Your platelet count is low normal. The range of your Hb (from high to low is only) is 0.8

I don't think you have enough data points to say these numbers are worsening (to a statistical significant degree).

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...