Skip to main content

My concerns reaffirmed today

When I was first diagnosed with MCL, I pretty much read just about everything I could get my hands on, I attended various conferences, and I talked to anyone who would listen.

One of the most important lessons I learned, and which I've mentioned numerous times before was
No one cares more about you than you.

But in addition to that, I learned to fear the drug Doxorubicin, AKA Adriamycin, Doxil, Hydroxydoxorubicin, or more affectionately the Red Devil.

Besides being a deadly chemical, as is the case with most chemotherapy drugs, it is one of the few chemotherapy drugs known to cause permanent heart damage.

I even heard Dr. Sandra Horning, a noted Stanford lymphoma specialist, state at the first lymphoma conference I attended in LA, there was no evidence Doxorubicin provided any added benefit to chemotherapy protocols.

This was music to my ears, since Doxorubicin is very common in most lymphoma treatment protocols.

And even though Dr. Horning has since changed her tune [which my skepticism of the US health care system makes me believe she was pressured to do so], and I have seen one favorable study using Doxorubicin, I remain skeptical, and refuse to even consider its use for me, should the need for treatment present itself.

So it was with great trepidation when I heard Edie's protocol also included Doxorubicin or Doxil (the liposomal version). I expressed my concerns to her, but in the end it was her decision. She has since received 5 (30 mg/m2) doses to date.

But now, after this phase II study, conducted in France on 482 patients, I believe I have been vindicated in my belief, as has Dr. Horning, that Doxorubicin is not a necessary addition to any chemotherapy protocol.

This study clearly shows Velcade + Dexamethasone results in twice the complete remission (CR) and very good partial remission (VGPR) rates of the same protocol + Doxorubicin prior to transplant, and a better than 30% improvement after a transplant.

Hopefully now, Edie will also stop taking this particular drug. Who knows, it might even improve the neuropathy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...