Skip to main content

I couldn't be prouder

I knew there was a good reason, Morris wasn't bringing home any trophy's lately.

After Morris lost his last collar (presumably in a fight), Edie went and bought him a replacement collar that had a bell on it. When she bought it, we [I] never considered how it might effect his ability to hunt, but after about 3 months without any late night surprises, I was starting to get suspicious. Plus, 3 months is about the longest Morris has ever gone without losing his collar.

So this evening I decided it was time to take the bell off, and no sooner did I do that, Morris proudly strutted home grasping a freshly caught rat in his mouth, which he quickly devoured while we watched the evening news.

Sylvia was mortified, Edie wasn't particularly happy either (she hates it when Morris kills anything), but I was so proud.

Just like me, Morris still has a few good years (he's 12 now) left in him.

Comments

Gerry said…
Well our Oscar now has 2 bells to help save the birds, so he brought us a small snake!
Mark VanKirk said…
Hunting is their natural way.....

Our cats have always been too fat to catch anything.....
Becky said…
That's exactly why Joseph took the bell off of Poor Jerry and yesterday we had a headless rat on our porch as a thank you. Either that or it was some kind of cat mob warning to Sadie. She got out the door and chased him the day before.

Way to go Morris!
Marc said…
And I hope you praised Jerry for his accomplished.

I remember when we moved to Houston in 1978, we had all our cats declawed, and felt so bad for the longest time. Once you do that a cat is basically defenseless.

At least I was able to correct the latest indiscretion.
susan c said…
One of neighbors, who frequently walks her dog by our house, is always admonishing me to get a bell for our outdoor cat because he goes after song birds. I can't bring myself to do it because we have coyotes and I don't want those wily creatures to have the edge.

Glad to hear that Edie is doing so well.

Popular posts from this blog

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...

My Last Post (????)

First it was my Facebook page, then it was my smart phone, and now it's the Internet I read in the latest AARP magazine, if you want a job you need a presence on the Internet. You need a Facebook account, Twitter account, Linked in account. etc. If you don't have a presence, your resume will likely be tossed. Say what? I can understand wanting employees to be competent in the use of a computer, and adept at navigating the internet, but requiring someone be connected to one or more of the myriad of social media networks. That's just not right! The use of the internet has grown too far, expanding far beyond its original intent, which was to ensure an unbroken line of communication during times of war, and morphing into something far more sinister. Some might even consider dangerous. The internet has managed to integrate itself into the very fabric of our society, and is being used by all the worlds governments and large corporations, to gather information about all of us with...

The results are in

And I am iron deficient, big time. [Which would account for my low hemoglobin] Test Result Ref Range IRON 30 59-158 mcg/dL TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY 231 250-420 mcg/dL IRON SAT 13 20-50 % My Ferritin levels were good, but that could be because Ferritin is also an "acute phase reactant", that is sometimes increased with acute or chronic disease. Folate and B12 levels were also within the normal range. The only problem now is determining what is causing the iron deficiency, which in the case of men, is [very] rare. My oncologist has given me a Globin Fecal test to perform, and has scheduled me for a consultation with a colorectal surgeon to discuss performing a colonoscopy, which could be problematic because of my large spleen. In the mean time, I've decided to start taking an iron supplement, it's only the quantity that is causing me some consternation. I've been told by a very knowledgeable person that to overcome an iron deficiency, I need to be taking 300 mg o...