Skip to main content

The results are in

And I am iron deficient, big time. [Which would account for my low hemoglobin]























TestResultRef Range
IRON3059-158 mcg/dL
TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY231250-420 mcg/dL
IRON SAT1320-50 %

My Ferritin levels were good, but that could be because Ferritin is also an "acute phase reactant", that is sometimes increased with acute or chronic disease. Folate and B12 levels were also within the normal range.

The only problem now is determining what is causing the iron deficiency, which in the case of men, is [very] rare.

My oncologist has given me a Globin Fecal test to perform, and has scheduled me for a consultation with a colorectal surgeon to discuss performing a colonoscopy, which could be problematic because of my large spleen.

In the mean time, I've decided to start taking an iron supplement, it's only the quantity that is causing me some consternation.

I've been told by a very knowledgeable person that to overcome an iron deficiency, I need to be taking 300 mg of iron sulfate, 3 times a day. Using the atomic weight calculation that would be equivalent to over 300 mg of elemental iron a day [36.7%]. That's a lot of iron, and it does not come without side effects.

Fortunately additional research has led me to learn that most ferrous sulfate supplements only contain about 20% elemental iron, which would be equivalent to 180 mg of elemental iron per day. Still a lot of iron.

I discussed that with my oncologist, and while she did agree, she also felt it could be problematic, and suggested 64 mg of elemental iron would be a good quantity to start with, and see what happens.

Obviously I preferred that suggestion, but instead have decided to start with 54 mg [that's 3 - 18 mg capsules a day]. It just so happens I had already purchased a bottle of iron fumerate capsules containing 18 mg of elemental iron.  I will build from there, and see what side effects occur, and if there is any improvement after next months blood test.

And who knows, maybe I'll even see an improvement in my cycling ability, if I can get my hemoglobin into the normal range, or at least close.

Gerry beware!

Comments

Ed said…
Good luck with the colonoscopy, dude. Keep us posted.
Gerry said…
Sounds like your going to be "Ironman 3"....
Since I just got back from 2 weeks of hills in Italy and 630 miles you better start secret training before we face off!
Gerry said…
You may want to start with Denise to be on the safe side!
Gerry said…
Oops, I forgot the colonoscopy will lighten things up, so you really should be better in the hills. I should know I've had 4 of the damn things........
Marc said…
Unfortunately it will only lighten me up for a little while.

If I really want to lose weight, I could just have a splenectomy. That would likely be good for 5 pounds. Of course there are some trade offs, which at this point I'm not willing to take.

Cya on the road!

Popular posts from this blog

Vaccine Mandates, what are they good for?

Not much, that's for sure! Simply showing evidence of receiving a Covid-19 vaccine (whether fake or not), does not mean you are protected from getting Covid-19, nor spreading it, if infected. We are all different, and too many of us, i.e. people who are immunocompromised/ immunosupressed, the elderly, or others for various reasons, do not [cannot] mount an immune response as good as younger and healthier individuals. What is evidence of immunity is a quantitative antibody test showing you have developed antibodies, and to what degree, either from natural immunity or the vaccine.  That is what we should be testing for. That is what is important. But for too long, many, i.e. the FDA, doctors, and other health experts discouraged people (and still are) from getting antibody tests, because there was little knowledge about what level of antibodies are needed to impart immunity to the virus. That of course is true, to some extent, but how can we ever find out [learn] the answer to that q

History IS repeating itself

I didn't grow up during the rise and fall of Hitler and Nazi Germany, so for me to claim it feels like those are the times we are living in now, must be taken with a grain of salt. But I have seen enough movies, and read enough history to know, if the times we're living in now are not akin to the rise of a Nazism and Facism in Europe in the 1930's and 1940's, then we're not far off. If you can't see the parallels with Nazi Germany, then you must be living in a different country than me. Republicans and other right wing extremists will stop at nothing to subvert the will of the majority, forcing their beliefs, that they are the superior race and have been appointed by God, to impose their will on America, while they blame all our problems on immigrants, blacks and Jews. As I speak, Mitch McConnell, and his minions are raising roadblocks to all legislation designed to help average Americans under the guise of fiscal responsibility. They condone violent and verba

Open letter to all Democrats

Stop the nonsense! Continuing to go after Trump, without any hope of getting a conviction, does nothing more than provide Republicans with an obstructionist dialogue (now that they have come up with the unconstitutional talking point) in addition to giving Trump much needed publicity, when we should be ignoring him. It's the pure definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result! Instead Democrats need to be laser focused on what is important to all Americans, i.e. healthcare, Social Security and Medicare, infrastructure reform, the Covid-19 vaccine rollout, to name just a few. And when you do talk about Trump, simply steer the conversation as to how the Trump administration botched everything, how Trump is responsible for the deaths of 400,000+ Americans, due to his inaction and the down playing of the pandemic, plus the deaths of 2 Capitol policeman during the insurrection Trump provoked and incited on January 6, 2021.