Skip to main content

The Tour d'France

Just when I was expecting one of the best tours in the last 7 years, what happens? The two favorites, Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso, along with Francisco Mancebo, Joseba Beloki and Oscar Sevilla, a veritable who's who in the cycling world, have been suspended from their respective teams for suspicions of blood doping.

It's so hard to watch the tour now. Sure, George Hincapie, Floyd Landis and a number of other top riders, who have a chance of winning, are still in the race, but when the ranks are thinned of the top two contenders, it is sure to taint any victory.

All the cyclists suspended claimed their innocence (would you have expected anything else), but what is surprising is this was not a decision made by Tour officials, the International Cycling Union (UCI) or the Amateur Sports Association (ASO), but was a decision by all the participating teams as required by a

code of ethics that was signed by all teams on January 1, 2005 which stated that no team would allow a rider to compete while under investigation in any doping affair.


I don't know whether the individuals singled out are quilty or not, but to take such drastic action indicates there is strong evidence to suggest they are guilty. Still I don't like the decision. I wish there could have been a better way.

Blood doping is extremely hard to detect, and if that many individuals and teams were involved, then it is likely that the problem is more wide spread then what is indicated here. Some teams may just be better at hiding it then others, especially those based thousands of miles away.

Comments

Becky said…
You mean none of them left are worthy of watching?

I started reading Cancer Etiquette, it's pretty good.
Marc said…
I said
Sure, George Hincapie, Floyd Landis and a number of other top riders, who have a chance of winning, are still in the race

And in the end it may still be a good race, but I'm just concerned this entire controversy will taint the race, and that isn't good for the sport.

Popular posts from this blog

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...

My Last Post (????)

First it was my Facebook page, then it was my smart phone, and now it's the Internet I read in the latest AARP magazine, if you want a job you need a presence on the Internet. You need a Facebook account, Twitter account, Linked in account. etc. If you don't have a presence, your resume will likely be tossed. Say what? I can understand wanting employees to be competent in the use of a computer, and adept at navigating the internet, but requiring someone be connected to one or more of the myriad of social media networks. That's just not right! The use of the internet has grown too far, expanding far beyond its original intent, which was to ensure an unbroken line of communication during times of war, and morphing into something far more sinister. Some might even consider dangerous. The internet has managed to integrate itself into the very fabric of our society, and is being used by all the worlds governments and large corporations, to gather information about all of us with...

The results are in

And I am iron deficient, big time. [Which would account for my low hemoglobin] Test Result Ref Range IRON 30 59-158 mcg/dL TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY 231 250-420 mcg/dL IRON SAT 13 20-50 % My Ferritin levels were good, but that could be because Ferritin is also an "acute phase reactant", that is sometimes increased with acute or chronic disease. Folate and B12 levels were also within the normal range. The only problem now is determining what is causing the iron deficiency, which in the case of men, is [very] rare. My oncologist has given me a Globin Fecal test to perform, and has scheduled me for a consultation with a colorectal surgeon to discuss performing a colonoscopy, which could be problematic because of my large spleen. In the mean time, I've decided to start taking an iron supplement, it's only the quantity that is causing me some consternation. I've been told by a very knowledgeable person that to overcome an iron deficiency, I need to be taking 300 mg o...