Skip to main content

Fatigue! Is it real?

In the past there has been a lot of discussion of fatigue on the various newsgroups I subscribe to. It is listed as a symptom of lymphoma and leukemia, so there is no doubt that many people experience it, but how do you know if it is really fatigue, or just a case of depression due to being diagnosed with a terminal illness?

I have heard many complain of fatigue, to the extent they are unable to perform as they have in the past. They tire easily, and just have a general sense of malaise, even when blood counts are within normal ranges. Most attribute it to their disease. Others, such as myself, believe that in the absense of a low hemoglobin count, it is more psychological, that is to say, it is more likely a product of depression.

I know, because I am tired all the time. At least that's my excuse. I seldom want to do anything anymore. I pretty much have to force myself to go for a bike ride, jog or even play golf sometimes. Heck, I even hate getting up in the morning to go to work. Oh well maybe the last thing isn't really an indication of fatigue, but....

Like earlier, I didn't want to go for a bike ride, because I told myself I was tired. I thought of a number of excuses to discourage myself from riding, such as the fact that the roads might be wet (it rained last night), and I didn't want to get my bike dirty, and it was fairly windy outside. The one thing I couldn't get around was the fact that the sun was shining, and it was a perfect 60F outside. Actually a pretty nice day.

I almost didn't go, but then I got a message on the MCL message board, from someone I know, responding to a post I made earlier, which said

Good to hear from you Marc; keep on riding!


So I went for a 30 mile bike ride. It took me just under 2 hours, and had about 900' of climbing. It was a normal weekday bike ride, and it felt good to get out. It was windy on the way back, which made it a tougher ride than I would have preferred, but still it felt good to get out. I had a tail wind on the way out, so I really can't complain too much.

So the point of all this is to say, while some people may experience actual fatigue related to their disease, if your hemoglobin is good, it is more likely you are just depressed. Get up and do something. Even if it's just to get into your car to go shopping. Don't sit around, mope and become a couch potato. You'll only be better off for it, and I feel that I am well qualified to speak to this subject. My hemoglobin, as of my last blood test this AM, was 12.8 (reference range of 14 - 18).

But if you still think you are fatigued, and can't perform like you used to, keep this last thought in mind. We're all getting older, and that, more than anything, may be what is really holding you back. At 57 (58 in 3 months), I know there is no way I will ever be able to perform like I did 20 or even 10 years ago. But I keep trying, and I am still faster than the vast majority of riders younger and older than me, and I can even manage to keep up with some of the fastest 30 year olds, if I put my mind to it.

Comments

John Wagner said…
Marc,

First of all I am so glad to read about your wife's good blood test. That had to have been a huge scare for both of you. Now let's hope they can find out what is really going on and get her some pain relief.

Second, I really like your advice in this latest post. And I certainly admire you for the bike riding you were able to do even with the lower counts. 30 miles, that is amazing! I am convinced a positive outlook helps the healing process more than we know. I was depressed when I was first diagnosed with diabetes. When this leukemia diagnosis came along, I learned my lesson from earlier and realized depression was a waste of time. I spent one night "grieving" and then decided I had to take charge. Can't say I haven't worried, but nothing like the depression that first hit with the diabetes.

Keep on keeping on and above all, "keep on riding!"

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...