Skip to main content

2013: Not getting any better

I thought January was a bad month because I spent more money than I planned, but compared to what's been happening lately, I don't know why I thought that was even a concern.

To begin with, Edie hasn't been doing that good. The drug she's been taking for the past several months, Carfilzomab, is starting to take its toll, and her neuropathy seems to be getting worse. She's having more trouble just getting around, and climbing stairs is particularly daunting.

Then this morning I learned a friend, the person who built our back patio, and the husband of the girl I worked with for over 20 years, died this morning.

He had gone in for, what I thought would be, a routine double heart valve replacement on the 19th of February. Unfortunately that just wasn't the case. He was on the table for about 8 hours, and on the pump for almost 5 hours. (By contrast, my entire operation lasted 3 hours 14 minutes, and I was on the pump for only 42 minutes.)

It was then discovered one of the valves was leaking, and he needed another operation to correct it. So it was back to the operating room 2 days later.

The second operation didn't go so well either, lasting longer than planned, and it was all down hill from there.

It's difficult to think about these things, or know how to react. No one can ever know what's in store for them. You don't have to be old to get sick. (I think John was 10 years younger than me.) You don't even have to be in bad shape to get sick. It doesn't even have to be an illness that does us in. Anything can happen to anyone, anytime, and without warning.

It's times like these, all I try to do is take pause, and remember
Not to sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff

Life's just way too short for that, but most of all, never forget
The future is just a concept we use to avoid living today

Rest in peace John

Comments

Gerry said…
Wow, that's terrible I remember meeting him at your house. Sorry to hear about Edie send her a hug for us! I'll have Denise read this maybe that will hurry up her retirement!
Marc said…
Yeah, you don't have to tell me about it.

It [life] is so hard to accept. You never think you're going to die, but at the same time you know it's inevitable.

What's a person to do?

Such is life, I guess. It sucks, and then...............
Becky said…
Life does suck at times, but trouble doesn't last always and I know that it sounds like a cliche, but if it weren't for the hard times we wouldn't appreciate the goodness that surrounds us. I have seen such kindness and compassion throughout this ordeal from a friend burning me CD's to play for John, leaving me food. I even witnessed a young doctor show his humanity by shedding tears when John passed. He wept and said "this isn't suppose to happen when you go to the hospital". I wanted to console him, he did his job the best he could and that is all that we can do. And to be kind to one another because we never know what another person is going through.
Marc said…
Well, at least it's not supposed to happen when you're that young!

Popular posts from this blog

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

I'm beginning to think I may never get better

I know it's only been just over 3 weeks since my surgery, and by some accounts, I might even be considered to be recovering faster than most. I also know my surgery was a little more problematic than most, having had a collapsed lung, and requiring 4 [drainage] tubes in me after surgery (most only have 2). Still I can't help but think, 3 weeks is a long time. Plus I'm still in need of my pain meds, and there does not appear to be any light at the end of this long, arduous tunnel. Everyone keeps telling me it will pass, and I will get better. Maybe that's true. After all the doctor did say my pain would likely persist for 4 to 6 weeks, but the longer it does persist, the more I begin to wonder  if all this has been worth it? One of the drawbacks of being laid up for so long is having way too much time on my hands to read. Too much time to read about the successes [and failures] of bypass surgery. Something, I've learned isn't all sunshine and roses, which only s...