Skip to main content

Oxycodon Withdrawal

If there's one thing I've gained from this entire ordeal, it's a much greater appreciation for the trials and tribulations of drug addicts. For me it's been just over 4 days since my last Oxycodon, after only being on it for around 2 months, but the desire to take another pill still exists.

While the severity of the symptoms of Oxycodon withdrawal I've been experiencing, i.e. abdominal cramps, chills, body aches, runny nose, etc. have subsided some, they have not gone away yet. And while some of that may be psychosomatic, it's still not hard for me to imagine how difficult it must be for someone addicted for a much longer period of time, or on a greater quantity to kick the habit.

I even have a new found sympathy for Rush Limbaugh.

It's not that the Oxycodon was so instrumental in relieving the tightness and discomfort in my chest, because it wasn't. [Although I'm starting to have some doubts.] It was because the Oxycodon provided a feeling of well being that made the pain seem immaterial. It's difficult to explain, but shortly after taking an Oxycodon, it was like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. The relief was unmistakeable.

I have resorted to taking Tylenol (<2000 mg/day), which consensus says is not addictive, or at least not so much, to help quell the desire to take another Oxycodon, but that has only been of minimal help. Plus, there is a downside to taking Tylenol. Tylenol is cleared through the liver, so I have had to eliminate wine for the time being, until I can kick the Tylenol habit as well.

Let's just hope that isn't for too much longer. This is not any fun!

Comments

Alan said…
Tylenol (as opposed to Tylenol w Codeine) will do nothing for your withdrawal symptoms and might hurt your liver. By itself it is not addictive at all.

If you need something I'd suggest weaning your self off Oxycodone i.e. take 1/2 than 1/4 tablet 3-4 times a day until you can stop altogether.

Why don't you talk to your doctor about this (or if your doctor suggested Tylenol, find another doctor).
Marc said…
Yeah, but it does seem to have alleviated some of the anxiety I have been feeling, and the headache I had when I first quit the Oxycodon.

I guess you forgot the fact I've been off the Oxycodon for 4 days and 11 hours already or you didn't read my last post. You could look at my countdown timer every now and then. :)

And no it wasn't my doctor who suggested Tylenol, it was Edie! So I'll quit that as well. I didn't think it was really doing any good anymore anyways.
Alan said…
No I didn't forget. I just assumed you were so miserable that you needed to do something. If you can stand it you're withdrawing as fast as possible.
Patti Earhart said…
I was given Oxycodone and then Oxycontin for severe back pain at the cancer center where I was being treated for the MCL. I felt too spaced out to drive for the 3 months I was on those drugs and the pain was not managed that well. While I was in the hospital for a couple of nights I was switched over to Tramadol. I did not experience the withdrawal you are talking about. The Tramadol does not make me feel spaced out and does manage pain. I no longer have the back pain thanks to physical therapy and exercise. I still take a half a Tramadol for pain as needed. Have you considered Tramadol? I never take Tylenol either because I enjoy my wine too. You sound pretty miserable.
Marc said…
Thanks Patti! Never tried Tramadol, and not sure I want to try anything new. I'm sure it has some side effect that I can use to rationalize not taking it.

I'm not that miserable. I did feel much worse the first 2 days off the Oxycodon. What I am feeling is probably more from depression than anything else. The weather the last couple of days has not been very nice.
Marc said…
I may have spoke too soon. It seems I've been having more chills than I have been experiencing. I actually had to turn the heat up to 75F to get warm. Of course, it was a cold day, and I haven't had a Tylenol since early this morning!

BIG SIGH!!
Patti E said…
Are you sure you don't have the flu?
Marc said…
That's what my wife thought. I sure hope not!

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...