Skip to main content

US Health Care Unmasked: A true story

A friend is admitted to the hospital. He was experiencing shortness of breath and chest pains extending down his arms. Obviously the signs of a heart attack or an impending one. Doctors do a complete work up on him. He's diagnosed with mitral valve stenosis and needs a valve replacement [maybe 2]. One problem is his kidneys aren't functioning properly, a possible complication of his diabetes, which is causing some concern to the doctors.

Anyways, there's a lot of discussion amongst the doctors, and it's decided his condition isn't urgent. So he's sent home to recover, under a nurse's monitoring, until his kidney function improves, and his condition can be further evaluated.

So now that I've set the stage, you can pretty much forget everything I just mentioned, because it's what comes next that is so disturbing.

Upon my friend's release, he's prescribed a number of medications, one of which is a blood thinner, Lovenox, although the name of drug is irrelevant. The problem is when his wife goes to the pharmacy to pick up the prescription, she learns their health insurance doesn't cover that drug, and it will cost $1,000.

Taken aback slightly, and not having the $1,000, she contacts the doctor to see if there is a generic version, or a substitute drug he can prescribe that is covered. But instead of getting a different prescription, the doctor simply states, "oh, he doesn't really need it anyways."

WHAT THE ..............! HE DOESN'T NEED IT! THEN WHY PRESCRIBE IT TO HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE? WERE YOU TRYING TO RIP MY FRIEND OFF, OR JUST HIS INSURANCE COMPANY? WHAT OTHER PRESCRIPTIONS DOESN'T HE NEED? AND WHAT ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE YOU'VE SAID? HOW MUCH OF THAT CAN WE BELIEVE?

No wonder Americans pay twice as much for health care than everyone else in the world, and have worse outcomes. When doctors prescribe unneeded medications, and order unnecessary tests and procedures, nothing good can come of that. But that is the US health care system.

It's called fee-for-service medicine, and it is the single biggest driver of increasing health care costs, and decreasing quality of care. In the US, doctors don't get paid for doing nothing. Doctor don't get kickbacks paid for not prescribing medications. They get paid for doing just the opposite. They get paid when they prescribe medications, and for ordering and performing tests and procedures, whether they're needed or not. In the US patient care comes secondary to profits.

Contrary to what some people might have you believe, health care is not a commodity like other commodities. We only get one chance at life. You can't trade yours in for a new one, like you can a car. You can't simply return a defective/malfunctioning heart, and install a replacement, like it's a kitchen appliance. And a ruptured artery doesn't yield the same result as a busted waterline in your home.

Increased competition, and shifting more of the burden of health care onto individuals and businesses is not the answer to our problems. Until we recognize that, the quality of health care in the US will continue to degrade, and health care costs will continue to soar, until no one, that is except for the very rich and of course our elected representatives, will be able to afford health care, good or bad.

Comments

Gerry said…
Government Health Care "Obamacare" will fix that right?
Marc said…
Unfortunately no. The only way to do that is to take the profit motive out of health care, and the only way to do that is by going to "socialized medicine". Which incidentally also provides the added benefit of eliminating the fraud inherent in a fee-for-service system.

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...