Skip to main content

Nothing ever seems to go right anymore

After all the warnings about not over doing it, not exercising too much, taking it slowly, I still end up hurting myself.

I didn't think I over did anything yesterday. I deliberately kept my pace down on the elliptical at the gym, limiting my max heart rate to 114 bpm, and only going for 35 minutes,

Afterwards, I went for coffee with the gang, and then to a gathering of friends for some food and wine, without experiencing any ill effects. It wasn’t until several hours later as I was sitting in front of the TV, that I realized my knee was hurting.

At least if I knew what I had done to cause the pain, I might be able to rationalize the feeling of despair away, but I can't. I didn't do anything, and it's pissing me off!

Of course I don't know why I'm so surprised. This is just another setback in what has been a series of setbacks recently. Starting with the weather (which is always an issue for me this time of year), coupled with the continuing pain in my chest, along with the inability to function normally, plus what I perceive to be some inconsistent care from the VA regarding my heart.

It's also why I shouldn't have been surprised when I went to the dentist today, and told him I had open heart surgery. I thought he was going to have a coronary. I don't know what the big deal was, but he was concerned. Fortunately I was able to get in contact with my Cardiologist (no easy feat at the VA), who assured the dentist there was no problem, and I got my teeth cleaned, but not without raising my blood pressure a few notches!

Fortunately the sun managed to shine today, which I'm hoping is a sign of better times ahead.

BIG SIGH!

Comments

Alan said…
I love your "countdown timer". Just noticed it.
Somebody said "getting old isn't for sissies".
Marc said…
Countdown and count up!

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...