Skip to main content

Way too much information

I made the mistake of soliciting another opinion from a cycling buddy of mine, who also happens to be a [pediatric] cardiologist, concerning my angiogram. I say mistake, not because of any fallout that occurred, because none did, but because he provided some additional information I think I might have been better off not knowing.

It just so happened he talked to one of the cardiologist Fellows at the VA, who was familiar with my case, and was able to gain greater insight into my condition than he was able to ascertain from the information I sent him.

Simply put, what I got from his explanation this morning (which I readily admit may not be a correct take on his explanation), is there's an artery (maybe the circumflex, I don't really remember) that branches off into two other arteries, and there is blockage in all three. Apparently it's something very unusual, which further explains the [older] attending cardiologists question, during my angiogram, if I ever had radiation treatment for my lymphoma, because he hadn't seen it before in the absence of such treatments.

Certainly doesn't sound promising, and does this make it a triple bypass, as opposed to the double bypass surgery I was expecting? I don't really know, and I'm not so sure I want to know, or if it even makes any difference. The thought of that has resulted in my back hurting again, identical to pain which occurred when I was informed I was having my angiogram the next day.

At lease he was able put my mind at ease about the quality of cardiologists at the Long Beach VA, as well those who would be performing the bypass surgery in LA (assuming that is it is approved of course). They all come highly regarded in the cardiology community.

He also reiterated the point I shouldn't be riding, and added I might consider becoming a vegetarian. Two more things I didn't want to hear.

Comments

Alan said…
Well I'm not a cardiologist but from what I understand of the cath report you have just two obstructions. The left main (which branches off into 2 arteries- that might be the confusion) and the circumflex.

They would only have to bypass the LAD and the circumflex. That's a double bypass. I don't remember seeing anything about obstruction of the right coronary.

What's the latest of whether they're going to let you have the procedure?
Marc said…
Well I did admit to a lack of comprehension. We were riding at the time. No word yet from the VA. I need to get a flu shot, so I'll go the VA in Monday to see if I can get any more info. Monday is Cardiology clinic day.
Becky said…
When mom had her heart attack, she had a blockage at the base of an arterery that then branched off in two directions. So, a stent wouldn't work. They did a quadruple bypass which was unsuccessful as her veins are very fine (I think most womens are, but medical studies are traditionally performed on men first,but I'll save that rant for another day) and they "sluffed off" which is quite the technical term, but her heart eventually made it's own bypass. I think it's called collateral circulation.

Bill Clinton is a vegetarian now. All the cool guys are doing it! And what the heck are you doing riding a bike?
Marc said…
So if Bill Clinton is doing it, and I want to be cool........... Besides how bad can it be? I hear you can still drink wine as a vegetarian.

I have two riding buddies who are vegetarians as well, and my nephew is also sending me a DVD about being a vegetarian, that his mother--in-law (who is a vegan) thinks everyone should watch.

So if I decide to change my life style, at least I'll have plenty of support.

And the bike is the only thing that seems to alleviate the discomfort of my spleen

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...