Skip to main content

Day 4, and the vacation is over

The reality of all this is finally starting to set in.

I'm in the hospital, I'm sick, and I'm about to undergo major surgery.

It pretty much hit me about 1 AM this morning. I got a roommate, and for almost an hour I had to deal with him calling for the nurse, mostly wanting something to eat, and then having to listen to him suck a can of Ensure dry with his straw, while eating grahm crackers.

I knew this would likely happen, I just wasn't prepared for it to happen at 1 AM, nor for it to be so disrupting.

Then, no sooner do I get back to sleep, I'm awakened at 20 minutes to 3 to draw blood. She told me I was first on her list. Gimme a break! They couldn't wait till mid morning to start drawing blood?

And as if all that wasn't enough, at 5:30 AM, someone comes in, and starts asking questions of my roommate.

Is this the way it is in every hospital, or just the VA?

Anyways, here it is, 6:30 AM, I'm wide awake, waiting for my breakfast, and just wishing this whole ordeal was over with already.

Comments

Alan Posner said…
It's been that way in every hospital I've had contact with. At least they didn't wake you up to give you a sleeping pill (that really happens).
Gerry said…
Alan is right, In my many hospital stays it always happens and the food also sucks! See you in a couple of hours.
Marc said…
That's good to know. I was worried I might be getting special treatment. :)
Becky said…
Yes, it is the same. I have had nurses wake me up to ask about my PAIN LEVEL! (Obviously, not that bad if I'm sleeping!) But they have have boxes to check!

Wait til they misread your doctors handwriting on your chart. My mom had achalasia and the nurse came to talk to her about alcholism. She was slightly nicer to her than she was to the chaplain that was making his rounds who she accused of making brownie points with G-d because he was formerly a lawyer.

Trust me, you'll be laughing about this in no time.

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...