Skip to main content

Kauai Unplugged

Now that I've mostly recovered from our "vacation" to Kauai, I think I can honestly say, other than the fact the room I reserved wasn't available the first night, I lost my phone charger when we changed rooms (fortunately I had a back up), Edie came down with the same "viral" infection on Wednesday, I had the previous two weeks, and my phone drowned when it went swimming with me in the ocean, it wasn't that bad.

The hotel was nicer than expected, the weather was perfect, and the food was good (maybe a little too good, as I gained 8 pounds). The only question is why I felt the need to travel 3000 miles to experience all that, when I can get all that [and more], i.e. good food, nice beaches, great scenery and fantastic weather, right here in southern California, or at most only a few short hours away by car.

Plus there is nothing more mortifying and profoundly exhausting, then traveling anywhere by airplane. Getting to and from the airport, going through security [especially going through security], waiting for the plane to leave, and then being cooped up in a hollow tube for, in this case 5 to 6 hours, just doesn't seem worth any perceived benefit that may be gained.

The funny thing is I knew all that beforehand, but Edie had her heart set on going to Kauai, so I relented.

Hopefully she's got her fill of vacations for awhile. I know I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...