Skip to main content

Just when I thought things were getting better

My upper respiratory infection is gone, and I'm finally feeling normal again.

A recent check of my immunoglobulins were nearly identical to the results of last February. 68 today vs 68 in February for IgA, 1422 today vs 1458 in February for IgG, and 342 today vs 332 in February for IgM.

I was still able to have my heart CT scan as scheduled Friday, despite being 45 minutes late for the appointment. (I thought it was for 10:30 AM, and when I arrived I was told it was for 9:30 AM)

But mostly I was feeling good about things having come out unscathed, after being side swiped on my bike Thursday, by an old man in a van. Apparently he was in a tremendous hurry to get to the stop sign ahead, and decided I didn't have a right to the road. So he swung wide into the other lane, clipping my fore arm with his right side mirror, while nearly taking out another rider, as he swerved around him as well. Not sure how I was able to stay upright, but I did. (Must be my tremendous bike handling skills. :) )

But then Saturday that good feeling slowly started to fade.

Maybe it was the 6 hour flight to Kauai that did me in. (Oh how I'm dreading the flight home.)

Maybe it was when we checked into the hotel, all that was available was a room with two double beds. (Do people really still sleep in double beds?)

Or maybe it was after returning, from an uninspiring 5 hour drive to the north shore [of Kauai], to discover the room the hotel moved us to, location wise, wasn't quite as nice as the original room. Plus our luggage wasn't in the room as promised.

Oh well, what can you do? Besides, if I didn't have anything to complain about, I wouldn't have nearly as much to blog about. :)

Comments

Alan said…
Wouldn't that be ironic. You're so obsessed with your health and you die in a bike accident.
Marc said…
That has crossed my mind more than a couple of times.

The other thing is, I'm not sure whether I should be feeling lucky about surviving the incident, or unlucky for having been involved in it in the first place.

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...

Oxycodon Withdrawal

If there's one thing I've gained from this entire ordeal, it's a much greater appreciation for the trials and tribulations of drug addicts. For me it's been just over 4 days since my last Oxycodon, after only being on it for around 2 months, but the desire to take another pill still exists. While the severity of the symptoms of Oxycodon withdrawal I've been experiencing, i.e. abdominal cramps, chills, body aches, runny nose, etc. have subsided some, they have not gone away yet. And while some of that may be psychosomatic, it's still not hard for me to imagine how difficult it must be for someone addicted for a much longer period of time, or on a greater quantity to kick the habit. I even have a new found sympathy for Rush Limbaugh. It's not that the Oxycodon was so instrumental in relieving the tightness and discomfort in my chest, because it wasn't. [Although I'm starting to have some doubts.] It was because the Oxycodon provided a feeling of well ...