Skip to main content

It's all good again [mostly]

WOW! 3 posts in as many days, but if you feel inundated with too much information, don't worry. I doubt it will continue. This news just couldn't wait.

The results of my colonography are in, and all is well. No polyps or other extraneous stuff. Thank goodness I'm not going to have to go through that again, for at least another couple of years. Hopefully by then I will have forgotten the misery I endured.

But it gets even better.

A retest of my blood counts showed the approximate same drop in lymphocyte count to 55 thou/mcL (which is within normal lab variation at this lymphocyte level), but my platelets were back up to 159 thou/mcL.

Not sure why the increase in platelets, other than the fact I did do a pretty intense bike ride Tuesday morning (which I'm told will cause an increase in platelets), and I cut back [very] slightly on the green tea. Regardless of the reason, it is reassuring.

I guess the best thing I can do for myself is try to increase the intensity of my bike rides (my enthusiasm on the bike has been waning as of late), which at this time of year is a lot easier said than done.

Comments

Alan Posner said…
Not to burst your bubble but the increase in platelet count following vigorous exercise is caused by the spleen releasing sequestered platelets, rather than an increased production of platelets.

In any event there are other health benefits to exercise so go at it.
Marc said…
So can I surmise from that bit of information, that is why my spleen feels so much better (not as bothersome) when I am riding? And it may not be that my bone marrow is failing [just yet], as much as it may be the spleen simply hording more and more platelets?

Either way, the release of the platelets into the blood stream should be a good thing?

It's obvious though, something (either my bone marrow or spleen) isn't working properly, something I have known for a long time. My only concern now being, things may be coming to a head, and I need to watch it closely.

BIG SIGH!
Alan Posner said…
The release of platelets into your blood stream is not really a good thing. Until your blood platelets fall to 30,000 or less you're really not in too much danger of bleeding. Too high platelets in your blood can increase your risk of clotting i.e. heart attack or stroke.

Certainly the difference between 150K and 120K would make no difference either way.

I still think your being over concerned about such small deviations.
Marc said…
OH! You sure know how to put a damper on things. :)

I'm going for a bike ride!

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...