Skip to main content

Deep thoughts [AKA A little rant]

I was thinking last night (I do that whenever I have trouble sleeping), and I've come to the realization, in the nearly 10 years since my diagnosis with MCL (when I was personally awoken to the issue of cancer), there has been a lot of research done, and too many to fathom clinical trials performed, yet there has been very little [monumental] advancement in the way we deal with and treat cancer.

We've managed to map the entire human genome. We've even come close to discovering the causes of [at least one] cancer, yet there is still no cure, and our approach to treating cancer remains, as it has been for the past 50+ years, to do nothing more than infuse deadly chemicals into the body, in hopes of destroying the cancerous cells. Even one of the biggest advances recently in the treatment of lymphoma, has been the reemergence of Bendamustine, an alkylating agent developed in East Germany in the 1960's.

Yeah, there have been strides made in the use of stem cell transplantation (SCT), and there have even been some new blockbuster drugs that have come on to the market, e.g. Rituxan, Gleevic and Velcade, but they have done little, aside from maybe delaying the inevitable for a few more years, to advance a cure. And even those approaches have their limitations, especially in the case of SCT's, which can produce debilitating side effects, i.e. graft vs host disease (GVHD), that in some cases may be worse than the disease.

You'd just think after all these years, with all the great minds and other resources available in this country, and around the world, there would have been greater strides made towards finding a cure for cancer, or at the very least develop new and safer drugs for the treatment of cancer.

What's even more depressing is with the political upheaval in the US, it appears further advancements related to all types of health issues will be greatly hindered. There are already critical drug shortages showing up around the country, and expected cuts to funding for the National Institute of Health (NIH), portend few [if any] advancements for the foreseeable future.

The principle reason I've delayed treatment so long has been the hope something better would come along, but it seems I'm going to have to wait just a little [a lot] longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...