Skip to main content

Cancer Treatment! Worse than the disease?

While advances in the treatment of cancer are continuously being made, I have always had an overriding belief that "the cure is worse than the disease". I have just never been able to adequately articulate why I believe that to be so, that is until now. [note]I only wish I had seen this great analogy, on how cancer treatments work, when I was first diagnosed with MCL, and friends and acquaintances would ask why I wasn't starting treatment right away.[/note]

While this person was responding to a promising new technology, CART (Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-cell) therapy, it's still represents an accurate assessment of the current state of all cancer treatment.
I live in the wilderness with many species of wild and domestic animals like Coyotes, Fisher Cats, Fox, Bobcats, Dogs, Cats and yes Bears. Many of these animals help keep a balance of nature and rarely bother humans but sometimes bears can become dangerous, culminating in the rare attack on humans. Let's say a particularly dangerous Bear population begins to breed like wildfire and the threat to me becomes a crisis for which my Atlatl and 12 gage shot gun are no longer able to handle. Along comes a laid off car salesman offering to sell me a brace of T-Rex dinosaurs that he guaranties will eat up the nasty Bear clan. Wow! this is just what I need...... but I don't notice on the contract that I sign and in fine print of course, that although the T-Rexes have proven voracious they are pretty dumb due to small cranial capacity. The guy who trained the T-Rexes to eat my nasty Bears could not get the beasts to recognize just the bad Bears of the nasty Bear clan from the good bears. Training quit at the level where the T-Rexes could recognize and target all four legged fur bearing animals.

The nasty Bear horde threat, being so urgent, I hastily put my money down and let the T-Rexes loose. They clean out the nasty Bears in short order along with the good bears the fox, coyote, bobcat, fisher, domestic cats, dogs and my drunk hirsute neighbor who had been crawling up the path to his cabin one night. Now, losing my garrulous hirsute neighbor was no big loss, I hasten to admit, but soon the environment was overrun by rats and mice who carried the fleas from which I have now contracted bubonic plague. The T-Rexes, having eaten all the animals they could recognize were looking curiously in my direction.

...................

He goes on to explain the challenges in treating cancer which I add here just for some additional insight
The challenge for developing CLL cytotoxic agents, specific to our cancer cells, is that an idiotype (unique to the cancer cell) marker on the surface of the B-cancer cells does not exist or has not been found or cannot yet be exploited for bio-engineering of T-cells or mAbs (monoclonal antibodies like Rituximab/Ofatumumab). The inefficiency of Rituxan/Ofatumumab may prove to be a blessing for those patients who get a good response and who do not react badly, like me, in that some of the good guy B cells are left after therapy and may confer some immune functionality although too many of the bad guys are also left who evolve to resist repeated therapy.

He ends with a statement I find very appropriate
......Live in the moment, and practice gratitude for all that we have. Increasing options abound.

Comments

Linda B said…
Thanks for this. I don't get on my laptop much because of an old shoulder/neck injury, or I would have seen your post sooner. You may remember me from last year - my husband is the Northern CA cyclist you emailed when I first found this site?
I've just come from my oncologist after 1 year of No treatment for MCL diagnosed Feb 2011. He wants to start me on Rituximab and I'm just so fearful of the resultant long-term effects to my body that I haven't done it so far. I have spent this past year on an excellent Vegan diet, rich with fresh organic vegetable and very little fruit or sugar (as best I can). My energy is better, my migraines are fewer and all would be well except that my lymph nodes keeps swelling and now my Spleen is quite enlarged. Sigh...what to do? You give me hope that there is another way.

Popular posts from this blog

Vaccine Mandates, what are they good for?

Not much, that's for sure! Simply showing evidence of receiving a Covid-19 vaccine (whether fake or not), does not mean you are protected from getting Covid-19, nor spreading it, if infected. We are all different, and too many of us, i.e. people who are immunocompromised/ immunosupressed, the elderly, or others for various reasons, do not [cannot] mount an immune response as good as younger and healthier individuals. What is evidence of immunity is a quantitative antibody test showing you have developed antibodies, and to what degree, either from natural immunity or the vaccine.  That is what we should be testing for. That is what is important. But for too long, many, i.e. the FDA, doctors, and other health experts discouraged people (and still are) from getting antibody tests, because there was little knowledge about what level of antibodies are needed to impart immunity to the virus. That of course is true, to some extent, but how can we ever find out [learn] the answer to that q

History IS repeating itself

I didn't grow up during the rise and fall of Hitler and Nazi Germany, so for me to claim it feels like those are the times we are living in now, must be taken with a grain of salt. But I have seen enough movies, and read enough history to know, if the times we're living in now are not akin to the rise of a Nazism and Facism in Europe in the 1930's and 1940's, then we're not far off. If you can't see the parallels with Nazi Germany, then you must be living in a different country than me. Republicans and other right wing extremists will stop at nothing to subvert the will of the majority, forcing their beliefs, that they are the superior race and have been appointed by God, to impose their will on America, while they blame all our problems on immigrants, blacks and Jews. As I speak, Mitch McConnell, and his minions are raising roadblocks to all legislation designed to help average Americans under the guise of fiscal responsibility. They condone violent and verba

Open letter to all Democrats

Stop the nonsense! Continuing to go after Trump, without any hope of getting a conviction, does nothing more than provide Republicans with an obstructionist dialogue (now that they have come up with the unconstitutional talking point) in addition to giving Trump much needed publicity, when we should be ignoring him. It's the pure definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result! Instead Democrats need to be laser focused on what is important to all Americans, i.e. healthcare, Social Security and Medicare, infrastructure reform, the Covid-19 vaccine rollout, to name just a few. And when you do talk about Trump, simply steer the conversation as to how the Trump administration botched everything, how Trump is responsible for the deaths of 400,000+ Americans, due to his inaction and the down playing of the pandemic, plus the deaths of 2 Capitol policeman during the insurrection Trump provoked and incited on January 6, 2021.