Skip to main content

Wine a little! I'll feel better

It seems everyone is getting into the wine business nowadays. In Costco the other day, I noticed Jack Nicklaus now has a wine with his name on it.

GIMME A BREAK! There are already too many producers on the market, and it's getting harder and harder to find the good ones. Why do we need to flood the market even more?

And while [a high] price is certainly no guarantee of quality, you can pretty much rest assured anything under $10 is not going to be very good. Between $10 and $20 dollars, you might get lucky and get the occasional good wine, but the pickin's are slim. In general, if you're not willing to spend at least $30 for a bottle of wine chances are you're not going to be drinking a good wine.

Now I don't mean to imply spending $30 or more will guarantee you a good wine, but at least you should have a 50-50 shot at it. And even better odds the higher the price. But in most cases, they'll at least be palatable, which is more then I can say for the cheaper versions.

That all being said, I'm sure quite a few people will disagree with me. They often do, but I just happen to think my palate is more discerning that most people, so of course my opinions are more valid. :)

One of my favorite quotes I'm often at the receiving end of when commenting about a bad wine is
Oh it's a food wine. You need to eat it with food. Food enhances the wine.

I have to laugh every time I hear that. That's just not true. My usual retort is
So food wines aren't supposed to taste good?  NO! The food flavors may mask how bad the wine really tastes, but it's not going to turn a bad wine into a good wine.

Surprisingly, I still get people who will disagree with me.

Now on the other end of the spectrum are old wines, that is wines older than 4 years. (That number can vary +/- based on the varietal and producer.)

The problem being most wines produced nowadays are not made to be aged or set aside. They are typically meant to be drank immediately, or within a year or two of release. When stored properly, you might get another year, but that isn't always the case. And when they're not stored properly, well............

There are of course [many] exceptions to this rule. Joseph Phelps Insignia and Domaine Serene Monogram are two that come quickly to mind. In fact I recently opened a bottle of Domaine Serene Monogram that was still outstanding after 8 years. And I'm still holding an '01 and '06 Insignia, for that special moment. Of course none of those wines could be considered cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

What I find fascinating is how enamored many people are with older wines, and no matter how bad those wines may be [to me anyways], there is always someone who thinks it is the next best thing to skim milk. (Ok, so I exaggerated some. They probably just need to be drank with food.)

I bring the latter up because I am often kidded about how "Marc doesn't like old wines." Well, that is only half true, and I feel I need to set the record straight.

It is true I don't like a lot of old wines, but it's not because they're old. I don't like old wines, because like cheap wines, too many of them just aren't very good.

Comments

Alan Posner said…
Since I developed anosmia last year all wines taste alike. Think of the money I'm saving by buying cheap wine.
Marc said…
Yeah, but then the only enjoyment you get is from the buzz. That's too bad.

But I've found even when my nose is completely stuffed, and I can't smell either, there are still many redeeming qualities I can enjoy from a good wine.

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...