Skip to main content

Some random thoughts

I wish I could write those catchy little articles that inspire others to do things, or that just make you laugh like so many others I come in contact with, but alas that just isn't me. Heck I have enough trouble reading the catchy little articles of others, let alone write them.

Anywaze, it looks like the sun has come out for now, giving us a short respite from the pretty intense storm we had yesterday and this morning. The bad news is, it's supposed to start all over again on Wednesday, so I'd better start enjoying it while I can. Fortunately no longer having to go into work does give me a leg up in that respect.

I'm now on my 4th oncologist, in just over 6 years. Oncologists/Hematologists, at the VA, are all Fellows (except for the one attending physician who fortunately doesn't change), only obligated for 3 year stints [or less as I recently discovered], so I am used to change. I just wasn't expecting it so soon, as my most recent doctor decided he couldn't take it any longer, and quit after only about a year and a half.

So now I have to train a new oncologist, who knows nothing about MCL [and admitted it], but at least is willing to follow my lead. She's also much easier to look at than my last oncologist, and even better, I can actually understand her.

Fortunately I don't need much doctoring just yet!

Ok, enough for now, time to go for a short walk, and load up on vitamin D, before the sun decides to disappear again, like I think it just did as I was writing this post.

Oh well, such is life!

Comments

Jeri said…
When were you diagnosed? My mom was just diagnosed with MCL. She starts Treanda and rituxan on Monday. Are you on chemo? Are you in remission? This is all so new to us.

Thanks for your help.
Marc said…
I'm not on chemo, and I'm not in remission. I think of it more as stable disease.

My bio in the sidebar of my blog, provides a little background, and if you go back and read some of my early posts where I dealt more with my experiences confronting my diagnosis, and the US health care system.

Searching categories "My MCL" & "diagnosis" should yield the best results.

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...