Skip to main content

MCL Update

Went to see my VA oncologist on Wednesday. I'm still not completely comfortable with him just yet. He seems conscientious enough, and is willing to spend time talking with me, going over the various options available, but at times he's difficult to understand (he has a strong accent), and he is pretty young. Of course my Kaiser oncologist is young as well, so I can't really hold that against him.

He's also convinced I have Splenic Marginal Zone lymphoma (SMZL), not MCL, but I did point out that with the t(11;14) translocation, SMZL is not a likely diagnosis. I'm not sure he was convinced though.

In any case the treatments would not be much different, and he expressed a willingness to use Rituxan, as a single agent therapy initially, as the prospects for beginning some sort of treatment draw nearer, which is what I was hoping to hear.

So I am adapting, and I do realize at my age change is difficult.

Anyways, my counts were basically stable, including my hemoglobin and platelet counts. Platelets were even up to 194 thou/cumm, but I have always found the VA lab to be slightly higher in all readings, even with the same reference ranges. Obviously it has a lot to do with the equipment and the techs interpreting the results.

There was also something new this time on the report, hypochromia. Briefly speaking, hyprochromia is an indication of a lighter than normal color of the red blood cells, obviously due to my anemia, and likely resulting from an iron deficiency.

I know I eat plenty of red meat and other foods with iron, so maybe it's time to break from my policy of not taking any vitamins or supplements, and start taking an iron and folic acid supplement. A few people, including my Kaiser oncologist, have suggested I take them, indicating they would only be of benefit (much like a flu shot I guess), but I have been stead fast in refusing.

But who knows, maybe it will help with the overwhelming fatigue I have been dealing with lately, and even delay the progression of my MCL and the necessity for more aggressive treatments.

Ok, I guess I've talked myself into it. I'll just call it the start treatment instead of the taking of vitamins or supplements.

Comments

Altaloman said…
Thanks for the update and the details on your diagnosis. The hint that you may not have MCL could be good news?

One of the realities for all of us in the post-60 age range is that our encounters with most care givers are with the younger generation. That's not a bad thing because they are most likely to be read and informed about the latest in medicine for their specialty. And your hesitation to jump head-first into any treatment plan is understandable in light of a certain skepticism about the medical establishment. Yet, when you see improvements in your health and well-being (including longevity with the diagnosis), you must have confidence in those with whom you have placed your trust. Keep up the fight!
Marc said…
Thanks Mike, and yeah I know all to well, everyone is younger than me, so that really isn't a complaint. It was more just an observation, and usually they are more receptive to learning and working with the patient.

And my reason for not jumping head first into treatment, has nothing to do with my skepticism with the US health care system. Treatment options are basically the same any where in the world, and there hasn't been much advancement in cancer treatment over the last several decades. And in the US you are more likely to have access to what ever advancements there are.

My reasons for wanting to delay conventional treatment as long as possible, has more to do with the statement "sometimes the cure can be worse than the disease." I've never really considered the infusion of deadly chemicals into the body as being medicine.
Marc said…
I should have said, that not jumping into treatment has less to do with my skepticism of the US health care system than it does with the fact there have been very few advancements in cancer treatments over the past several decades, and the treatments that are available can't really be considered medicine.
Alan Posner said…
Marc,

The number one cause of iron deficiency anemia in men (women menstruate so it's not that unusual) is occult GI bleeding, not inadequate intake.

If your anemia is indeed from iron deficiency (you should have a serum ferritin and/or Fe/Tibc to confirm this) you need a colonoscopy and EGD.

I'm surprised your oncologist didn't suggest this.

People with one type of cancer tend to be prone to others.

Not trying to scare you, but you should bring this up with your oncologist.

Alan
Marc said…
Well you didn't do a very good job of not scaring me, but I will do some additional research.

What you say is likely correct about iron deficiency, but how about when you factor in the fact I have a blood [technically lymphoid] cancer, and my bone marrow isn't functioning normally. It [the bone marrow] just may need a little extra help in the form of an iron and/or folic acid supplement.

And yes, people with one type of cancer are prone to others [secondary cancers], but that is usually the result of having had chemotherapy, which is the norm, almost immediately, after being diagnosed.

I am scheduled for a BMB on the 12th of May, so I'll ask you my doctor about scheduling a colonoscopy. It's been almost 8 years since my last one, so I am probably due.

Thanks,

Popular posts from this blog

Vaccine Mandates, what are they good for?

Not much, that's for sure! Simply showing evidence of receiving a Covid-19 vaccine (whether fake or not), does not mean you are protected from getting Covid-19, nor spreading it, if infected. We are all different, and too many of us, i.e. people who are immunocompromised/ immunosupressed, the elderly, or others for various reasons, do not [cannot] mount an immune response as good as younger and healthier individuals. What is evidence of immunity is a quantitative antibody test showing you have developed antibodies, and to what degree, either from natural immunity or the vaccine.  That is what we should be testing for. That is what is important. But for too long, many, i.e. the FDA, doctors, and other health experts discouraged people (and still are) from getting antibody tests, because there was little knowledge about what level of antibodies are needed to impart immunity to the virus. That of course is true, to some extent, but how can we ever find out [learn] the answer to that q

History IS repeating itself

I didn't grow up during the rise and fall of Hitler and Nazi Germany, so for me to claim it feels like those are the times we are living in now, must be taken with a grain of salt. But I have seen enough movies, and read enough history to know, if the times we're living in now are not akin to the rise of a Nazism and Facism in Europe in the 1930's and 1940's, then we're not far off. If you can't see the parallels with Nazi Germany, then you must be living in a different country than me. Republicans and other right wing extremists will stop at nothing to subvert the will of the majority, forcing their beliefs, that they are the superior race and have been appointed by God, to impose their will on America, while they blame all our problems on immigrants, blacks and Jews. As I speak, Mitch McConnell, and his minions are raising roadblocks to all legislation designed to help average Americans under the guise of fiscal responsibility. They condone violent and verba

Open letter to all Democrats

Stop the nonsense! Continuing to go after Trump, without any hope of getting a conviction, does nothing more than provide Republicans with an obstructionist dialogue (now that they have come up with the unconstitutional talking point) in addition to giving Trump much needed publicity, when we should be ignoring him. It's the pure definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result! Instead Democrats need to be laser focused on what is important to all Americans, i.e. healthcare, Social Security and Medicare, infrastructure reform, the Covid-19 vaccine rollout, to name just a few. And when you do talk about Trump, simply steer the conversation as to how the Trump administration botched everything, how Trump is responsible for the deaths of 400,000+ Americans, due to his inaction and the down playing of the pandemic, plus the deaths of 2 Capitol policeman during the insurrection Trump provoked and incited on January 6, 2021.