Skip to main content

It's all good on the health insurance front

I went to the Veterans Administration hospital today to check and make sure I'm still eligible for VA health insurance.

It's been about 5 years since I was there last, and since I was never notified about the distribution of new ID cards, I had my concerns. So I thought that would be a good way to check my VA health insurance eligibility. If they give me a new ID card, I'd be good to go.

Well, everything went fine. The VA still had me on file, and took me right in to take a updated picture for my new ID card. They said I should be receiving it in 7 to 10 days, and probably sooner.

So Edie and I are pretty much set. Edie will be eligible for Medicare in about 6 months, and as a fall back I still have my VA benefits.

So matter what happens with health care/insurance reform in front of Congress now, or with the recent buy out of the company I work for, at least I won't have to worry about having easy and affordable access to health care.

I'm feeling much better now.

Comments

Becky said…
Well, that's good news.
Mark said…
Thats really good news.
Vivian said…
I was wondering if you'd like to share your journals on www.mymedworld.com

its a new site that allows people to write about personal experiences so that it can help others. hope you check it out as the site has a lot more reach and your blog can really help people!

I really hope you post on Mymedworld, so many people can learn from your journey!

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...