Skip to main content

A blast from the past!

Went to a wine tasting today, which is of little note, except for the fact I met someone I hadn't seen in at least 20 years, and was so surprised, I had to blog about it.

For those of you who don't know Alex, or may have just forgotten (it has been 20 years), Alex was one of the charter members of Lightning Velo, the bike club I used to ride with, and is most remembered for the encounter we had with an old man driving his car on PCH. It seems this driver didn't like the way we were riding, so he decided to cut in front of us, and stop, causing Alex to run into him.

No one was hurt, but this guy decided he was going to teach us a lesson, and proceeded to try and get out of his car. Now Alex, at 24 years of age was a pretty buffed guy, who was also a boxer, and not someone I would ever want to meet in a dark alley, so why this old man (at least 60 years old) wanted to get out of his car, and mix it up with about 8 pretty pissed off cyclists was beyond me.

So Alex, without much hesitation, just "popped" this guy in the nose as he was trying to get out of the car, forcing him back into his seat. After that, reason triumphed over everything else, and the old man quickly sped off. Nothing else ever came of the incident, except for us telling that story for years to come.

It was shortly after that, Alex went a different way, and I hadn't heard from him since. I actually thought he had returned to his home in Argentina, which he informed me he did, but only for about a year, after which he returned to the US.

So it was with great astonishment [more like shock actually] when I walked over to this guy, who looked a lot like my neighbor, to listen to his conversation, just out of curiosity, and he recognized me, remembering me from the bike shop I used to own, and the bike club we started.

It was just so surreal, that after all this time we would meet again, and just when we were planning a trip to Argentina this coming winter.

Comments

Susan C said…
What a great story! Is Alex still buff and biking, 20 years later?
Marc said…
I know. Yeah, he's still buffed, and doesn't look much older than he did 24 years ago, but he's not doing any riding. He even said he sold his bike.

I got his number though, and a bike that will likely fit, so he can give it a try again.

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...