Skip to main content

Nothing like last year

newyearsdayI was a little hesitant to go for a bike this morning, because of the heavy fog and damp streets, but today's ride is the annual New Years day ride, and that only comes once a year.

So I dawned my tights, long sleeve jersey, gloves and attached my trusty blinking red light to my seat post, and headed down to the Long Beach marina for the start of the ride.

Upon arriving at the marina, I discovered I wasn't the only one. There were quite a few riders already there, and a continuous stream of riders still arriving. Plus as we headed down PCH, we continued to pick up new riders as the pack swelled to somewhere easily approaching 300 riders, if not a lot more. [I'm not good at estimating the size of crowds.]

It was a little frightening at first, as everyone attempted to reach their comfort zone in the pack, but there didn't seem to be too many squirrelly riders today (they probably all decided to stay in bed on this foggy morning), and the pack managed to avoid any major incidents, as it shedded many of the weaker riders, attempting to achieve a good rhythm.

It takes strong legs, a good set of lungs, stamina (this is a 100+ mile ride) and a hemoglobin in the normal range to complete the entire ride, and at best, since I only possess maybe two of those four attributes, I cut the ride short, stopping in Corona del Mar, along with several other riders, and then headed back to Long Beach at a leisurely pace.

As I look back, today's ride was a good one, and I'm glad I went. I'm now ready to face the world after completing my other two New Year's day traditions, hot dogs and sauerkraut for lunch, and watching the Rose Bowl on TV.

And if the weather is any indication of the year to come, we should be in for a spectacularly good year, when you consider how poorly 2008 turned out after starting with fantastic weather for last year's New Year's day ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...