Skip to main content

Latest blood counts

Well this month my doctor ordered some additional tests, which haven't been checked in quite awhile, on top of my usual CBC and LDH.

Now, I'm almost wishing she hadn't. Here I was cruising along quite happy, learning my hemoglobin remained stable at 12.6 g/dl, my lymphocyte count had dropped below 90 thou/cumm again, and my LDH had improved, from last months 160 IU/L reading, to 126 IU/L , that is, until I received my glucose results.

Seeing a glucose reading of 106 mg/dl (reference range 70-99 mg/dl) was very disconcerting. Not even the stock market climbing almost 500 points could help.

I emailed my oncologist, and she agreed to another glucose test next month, to confirm the reading. I'm hoping it was just a lab error.  I'd hate to think I may have the onset of diabetes. That's not a pleasant thought, especially on top of my MCL.

Having to give up sweets won't be a problem, but the thought of having to give up wine is just unacceptable.

Comments

Alan Posner said…
Stop worrying. (You have enough to worry about).
If the lab result is correct you have "pre-diabetes". It could take years before you develop diabetes and may never develop it.

My fasting glucose runs from 108-112 and I don't worry (too much). It's been like this for 2 years.

Alan
Marc said…
Easier said than done. I'm just going to take this as a wake up call to get back on a proper diet, exercise more, and stop eating sweets.

Don't plan on giving up on the wine just yet.

One thing I shouldn't have to worry about is dying of a heart attack. Just got the results of my lipid panel, and my total cholesterol was 137, HDL 42, LDL 87, and triglycerides were 41.
Becky said…
Oh, for crying out loud! What sweets? You hardly ever eat sweets. At least compared to your Reece's peanut butter consumption before you were diagnosed. Listen to Alan and quit worrying.

I know that goes against your nature, but at least give it a try.

Popular posts from this blog

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...

The results are in

And I am iron deficient, big time. [Which would account for my low hemoglobin] Test Result Ref Range IRON 30 59-158 mcg/dL TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY 231 250-420 mcg/dL IRON SAT 13 20-50 % My Ferritin levels were good, but that could be because Ferritin is also an "acute phase reactant", that is sometimes increased with acute or chronic disease. Folate and B12 levels were also within the normal range. The only problem now is determining what is causing the iron deficiency, which in the case of men, is [very] rare. My oncologist has given me a Globin Fecal test to perform, and has scheduled me for a consultation with a colorectal surgeon to discuss performing a colonoscopy, which could be problematic because of my large spleen. In the mean time, I've decided to start taking an iron supplement, it's only the quantity that is causing me some consternation. I've been told by a very knowledgeable person that to overcome an iron deficiency, I need to be taking 300 mg o...

I'm beginning to think I may never get better

I know it's only been just over 3 weeks since my surgery, and by some accounts, I might even be considered to be recovering faster than most. I also know my surgery was a little more problematic than most, having had a collapsed lung, and requiring 4 [drainage] tubes in me after surgery (most only have 2). Still I can't help but think, 3 weeks is a long time. Plus I'm still in need of my pain meds, and there does not appear to be any light at the end of this long, arduous tunnel. Everyone keeps telling me it will pass, and I will get better. Maybe that's true. After all the doctor did say my pain would likely persist for 4 to 6 weeks, but the longer it does persist, the more I begin to wonder  if all this has been worth it? One of the drawbacks of being laid up for so long is having way too much time on my hands to read. Too much time to read about the successes [and failures] of bypass surgery. Something, I've learned isn't all sunshine and roses, which only s...