Skip to main content

Something still seems to be missing

You'd think with Edie finally at home, my cold just about done with, and riding my bike for the first time in a week yesterday, I'd be feeling a lot better now, but I'm not.

Maybe the last week, without much to occupy my mind, I had way too much time on my hands to dwell on the future.

Part of the problems is, despite continued stable blood counts, and feeling mostly fine now, getting sick last week made me start to wonder, even more so, how much longer I can maintain this facade.

Then there's the economy. Even though my savings hasn't been effected nearly as much as many others in the US, and the rest of the world, I still can't help but worry. Remember we all live on the same planet, and what effects one of us, has at least an indirect (if not direct) effect on everyone else.

And of course there are the elections. What direction will the electorate take us this time? Are we to continue a policy of dividing the country between red states and blue states, and the I've got mine, so who cares about anyone else philosophy?

Or will we move away from the divisive policies of the past 8 years, and chart a new course?

After this election is over, and no matter who is elected president, I just hope we at last take a good hard look at what we want this country to represent, and decide what is best for everyone in the US (and the world), not just what is in our own self interest.

Ok, that made me feel a lot better now, plus I just checked out Russ Roca's website, and I got the "cover" in his latest post. Yep, that's me on the bike. I also lifted this photo from Russ's blog.

I never knew I was so photogenic. :)

Comments

Becky said…
Maybe you should come back to work and get your mind off of the economy? Those pictures are awesome. I just might link them to my next blog post. Is Edie enjoying her patio?
Christine said…
You story and pictures look ever so familiar.My husband was diagnosed with MM a year and a half ago. He received a transplant last January. He has high risk MM so we are going to Seattle where he will receive a donor transplant using the stem cells from his brother. Hang in there...your wife will start to feel better and better and better every day. My husband is feeling great. He is back to fishing and even helps my son with home renovations. A year and a half ago I would not thought that was possible. My stress levels are on the up swing again as we prepare to go.

Popular posts from this blog

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...

The results are in

And I am iron deficient, big time. [Which would account for my low hemoglobin] Test Result Ref Range IRON 30 59-158 mcg/dL TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY 231 250-420 mcg/dL IRON SAT 13 20-50 % My Ferritin levels were good, but that could be because Ferritin is also an "acute phase reactant", that is sometimes increased with acute or chronic disease. Folate and B12 levels were also within the normal range. The only problem now is determining what is causing the iron deficiency, which in the case of men, is [very] rare. My oncologist has given me a Globin Fecal test to perform, and has scheduled me for a consultation with a colorectal surgeon to discuss performing a colonoscopy, which could be problematic because of my large spleen. In the mean time, I've decided to start taking an iron supplement, it's only the quantity that is causing me some consternation. I've been told by a very knowledgeable person that to overcome an iron deficiency, I need to be taking 300 mg o...

I'm beginning to think I may never get better

I know it's only been just over 3 weeks since my surgery, and by some accounts, I might even be considered to be recovering faster than most. I also know my surgery was a little more problematic than most, having had a collapsed lung, and requiring 4 [drainage] tubes in me after surgery (most only have 2). Still I can't help but think, 3 weeks is a long time. Plus I'm still in need of my pain meds, and there does not appear to be any light at the end of this long, arduous tunnel. Everyone keeps telling me it will pass, and I will get better. Maybe that's true. After all the doctor did say my pain would likely persist for 4 to 6 weeks, but the longer it does persist, the more I begin to wonder  if all this has been worth it? One of the drawbacks of being laid up for so long is having way too much time on my hands to read. Too much time to read about the successes [and failures] of bypass surgery. Something, I've learned isn't all sunshine and roses, which only s...