Skip to main content

Back pain is the worst!

Now I have pulled a muscle or two in my lower back before, which has resulted in a great deal of pain, often coupled with an inability to even move, but at least in those cases, when I curl up in the fetal position, and don't move, the pain goes away.

But around 2 AM last night, I awoke with such extreme pain in my upper back, there was nothing I could do to alleviate it. The pain was so extreme, I couldn't even lift my head, and for quite awhile I actually felt nauseous. Eventually I was able to stretch it out, enabling me to move, albeit very gingerly, but the pain was still there.

At that point, I was desperate, and did something I have vowed never to do, or at least only do in extreme situations. I took a SOMA.

So what caused this pain? I'm not exactly sure, because I don't remember feeling any pain at the time, but I suspect it was when I was putting the sub woofer into the new entertainment center we had delivered yesterday. That sucker is heavy and awkward to lift.

Now I'm still in a lot of pain, and I'm resisting the need to take another SOMA, so I've decided not to go for my usual bike ride (I couldn't even if I wanted to) this morning. Instead, the plan is to spend the day alternately applying heat and ice to the effected area in the hope the pain will go away by tomorrow.

If it doesn't improve much, I may resort to taking another pill, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.  In the mean time I'll just suffer

Comments

Becky said…
Sorry to hear about your back pain. Soma should help if it's a muscle spasm, but they don't do much for pain, at least with my back, but I have two herniated discs. Which I hope you didn't do cuz' they are a bear to deal with.
Marc said…
It better be a muscle spasm. The alternative isn't something I want to think about. It's awfully similar to the pain Edie was experiencing prior to her diagnosis.

I don't know what I would do if that were the case. Fortunately I am feeling somewhat better, so I am optimistic I'll be able to go for a bike ride tomorrow morning.
Becky said…
You ought to just take it easy and let you body heal.
Vreni Gurd said…
Hi Marc,

Let me know if there is anything I can do. I spend my life fixing people's backs ... And there are lots of great people in Southern California with my training too, if you want to see someone for help.

Hope you heal quickly and easily. Sounds like you are doing the right thing, with heat followed by ice.

All my best,

Vreni
Marc said…
I think the ice is helping, so I'll give it a couple of more days to get better on its own. If it doesn't improve, I may take you up on your offer.

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...