Skip to main content

A rough start to the week, but.....

It's one thing trying to squeeze a week, or even two weeks worth of work, into a couple of hours during the day, but it's another story trying to squeeze six months of work into two days. Let me explain.

As part of my job as the Director of Quality/Metallurgy for the company I work for, and the part I hate the most, simply because it is something I have no training in, and little experience with, I am responsible for the companies adherence to certain quality standards, principally AS9100.

And every year about this time we are due for our annual audit, by an outside registrar who we pay dearly for the privilege. We do this, because virtually all our customers require we maintain our AS9100 registration, as a condition for doing business with them, and as an indication of our commitment to producing a quality, cost effective product.

For the most part, it's not that difficult to comply with all the requirements, but there are a lot of, what in mixed company I like to call non value added requirements, which are difficult to maintain on a daily basis, especially when you consider they really are non value added.

So consequently I/we (the company) spends the week prior to the audit, trying to get caught up with everything we were supposed to keep up with during the entire year.  And such was the case with the past two days.

Fortunately I have some great people working for me, and the majority of the other employees have finally come to understand the importance of complying with these requirements, regardless of their feelings about them. In addition, we have hired an AS9100 consultant, who has been able to guide us [especially me] in how to more easily comply with these requirements.

Still, old habits are hard to break (never do today what you can put off until tomorrow), and this is a stressful time of the year me, but after working two full days, getting all our ducks in order, I think we are more prepared for our audit next Tuesday and Wednesday, than we have been for any other audit we have gone through in the past.

So I'm taking the rest of the week off, to do some bike riding, and forget about all this non value added stuff until next week.

Comments

Gerry said…
If you were retired like me you wouldn't have that problem.. See you on the road ?
G
Marc said…
You're right, but then I wouldn't have anything to complain about. I'm on my way!
Becky said…
Oh, you'd find something to complain about :-)

So, since we are in better shape than ever I don't feel too guilty about bailing on you Tuesday.

I do feel bad, but it's for a worthy cause. And I called Kaiser and he is NOT having surgery on Tuesday, but a consultation with the SURGEON on Tuesday about the melanoma.

So,you can see why I can't let him go alone. Lord, knows what he'd agree to if I let him go alone. He seems to be in such a fog and I know it's because he can't stop thinking about his last experience with cancer.

But if we get back early enough I will come in Tuesday afternoon and I will definitely be here Wednesday.
Becky said…
so is your link that goes nowhere on Non value added some sort of pun?
Marc said…
It's not really a link. You just have to mouse over the link, it will tell you what I really think of all the non-value added stuff.
Becky said…
Well, then you should have a technique procedure on how to use your website.

Can you tell I've been dealing with audits too long?

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...