Skip to main content

How much longer?

Getting through everyday seems to be a bigger and bigger challenge.  Even getting out to ride my bike is getting more difficult.

Today I really didn't feel much like riding [of course that's nothing new], but I went out anyway, and pushed myself to the edge, something for which I am paying for right now. Mostly I do it because I believe if I don't, things will rapidly start to go down hill for me.

The problem is I just don't know how much longer I can continue putting on a happy face, and pretending to fight the valiant fight.

But it's not just about the bike, it's the myriad of thoughts that go through my mind everyday, as I ponder what's next in store for me.

How much longer can I continue to put off treatment? How big does my spleen have to get before it presents a problem? Are my counts too high, or too low? Is that an enlarged lymph node in my neck, or is it just my imagination? Am I tired all the time, because I ride my bike too much [and too hard], because of my MCL, or am I just getting old? And can I wait too long before beginning treatment?

And on top of that, it's not just me I worry about, there's Edie as well.

The other day, Edie asked me, since her heart was better, do I think she should now have the transplant, that was canceled back in January.

Why ask me that question, when she already knows what my answer will be. As far as I'm concerned, transplants are a procedure of last resort, after all other options have failed.  And for now she seems to be doing good, so why even consider it? But ultimately the decision is hers, not mine.

The real problem is, I understand her dilemma. Everyday, she has to confront the same demons I confront.

It's so easy when you're healthy to go on with your life, and even assume how you would react under similar circumstances, but until you've walked in the shoes of a person confronting a terminal health problem, or any other life changing situation, there's no way anyone can ever understand, or know how they will react under those same or similar circumstances.

And it's even harder for anyone to imagine how easy it is to simply want to give up!

Oh well, at least I have the Tour d'France to look forward to for the next 3 weeks.

Comments

Claude (France) said…
Hi Marc,
Let your body restore for a while, even the best in tour de France have to rest some days !
"La Bretagne est belle" isn't it ?
I ride with them without transpiring... in my sofa :-)

Edie's heart : it is a question for the specialists before her decision, no ?

Best wishes,
Claude
Marc said…
La Bretagne est belle! Yes it is.

And you are also correct, the body does need to recuperate sometimes. I will go easy tomorrow. Thanks!

Ultimately the specialists have to approve Edie's transplant, but neither will they do it, if she rejects it. I just think she has lots of time before she has to make that decision.

One of my favorite sayings is, never do today, what you can put off until tomorrow.

Oh yeah, and I think you may have meant perspiring (transpirez) instead of transpiring.
Gerry said…
Hey dude I'm with you having been there three times. Remember were survivors, don't dwell on the negative crap. Meet me this AM for a short ride to Stripper coffee and some green tea plus the great visual sights on the boardwalk!
G
Claude (France) said…
Hi, i have found transpiring on "Reverso".
I don't like words similar to french in english, so i thank you to write to me the right verb !

let's ride again and again... for years !
Gerry said…
Missed you this AM?

Popular posts from this blog

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...

My Last Post (????)

First it was my Facebook page, then it was my smart phone, and now it's the Internet I read in the latest AARP magazine, if you want a job you need a presence on the Internet. You need a Facebook account, Twitter account, Linked in account. etc. If you don't have a presence, your resume will likely be tossed. Say what? I can understand wanting employees to be competent in the use of a computer, and adept at navigating the internet, but requiring someone be connected to one or more of the myriad of social media networks. That's just not right! The use of the internet has grown too far, expanding far beyond its original intent, which was to ensure an unbroken line of communication during times of war, and morphing into something far more sinister. Some might even consider dangerous. The internet has managed to integrate itself into the very fabric of our society, and is being used by all the worlds governments and large corporations, to gather information about all of us with...

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...