Skip to main content

The cure for the common hangover

There's nothing like a high intensity workout (for me it's a bike ride) to get that horrible feeling out of your body [and mind], after drinking a little too much wine, at a friends house, the night before.

[I really need to do more of that, as having dinner and wine with friends is a great cure all to help you forget all the issues confronting you on a daily basis.  I just have to do a better job of controlling how much I drink.]

Anywaze, I didn't get a very good nights sleep, and I certainly wasn't in any mood to go riding this morning. Heck, I didn't even want to get out of bed, it felt so good just lying there, but I knew I just had to, or I would feel a lot worse later in the day.

So reluctantly I got myself out of bed, and went down stairs to have my tea and hopefully some breakfast.  Of course that was a lot easier said than done, as I plopped myself down in front of the TV (I didn't even bother turning it on), with my cup of tea close by.

It felt so good, as I watched the clock tick by.  If I didn't get up out of that recliner soon, I might never get up, I thought to myself.

Again reluctantly, I got myself out of the chair, made myself a half an egg sandwich (at this point I was starting to run late), hurriedly finished the sandwich and my tea, and managed to get out of the house with just enough time to catch the group, provided I took a few shortcuts.

Almost immediately after getting on the bike, I felt better. My only thought at that point was catching the group, which I did without much trouble.  I even got ahead of them (remember, I had to take a couple of shortcuts), and had to slow down and wait for them to catch me.

And then, as we started the hammer zone portion of the ride, whatever lingering after affects remained of my hangover, totally disappeared, and I'm feeling so much better now.

Comments

Becky said…
Gee, I thought to cure a hangover you had a greasy burger and a glass of milk. Your's sounds healthier.
Marc said…
Yeah, my way is healthier, but the greasy burger sounds easier to take. Not sure about the milk though.

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...