Skip to main content

Why I love cycling

That's not exactly how I felt returning from this mornings club ride to Dana Point, but now that I've had a chance to recover, and had a good nap, I can say that.

The best part about cycling is you don't have to be as strong as the next guy to be competitive. You just have to know how to ride smart. You have to know who the strong riders are, and pick the biggest rider of the lot (wide and tall is best to protect you from the inevitable wind) to ride behind.

When you do that, you can attain speeds you couldn't normally attain on your own, and can ride distances you're not normally accustomed to.

Of course there are some riders who are so strong [and typically a lot younger] , no matter what you do, you can't keep up, but just pushing yourself to your limit trying to keep up, can only be beneficial. Remember that old saying,
what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

You just have to watch out for the "what doesn't kill you" part. :wink:

The second best thing (ok, maybe it's actually the best thing), I'm still convinced it's the effort I put in to training that has kept my MCL at bay for over 6 years now, plus the fact I haven't cut my hair in over 5 years.

Everyone should take up cycling. It really is a great sport, and it's far less jarring on the body than running.

Comments

vreni said…
Hi Marc,

I'm with you, even though I don't race. I'd rather ride 100km than run 5. Cycling is also such a wonderful way to travel - you go slow enough to actually see the countryside, and you usually travel on more interesting routes than a highway. And one can travel a fair distance on a bike often faster than transit, and sometimes even faster than a car, especially if the car has to find parking, which can certainly be a huge issue in my city!

Hiking is good too - get into nature, feel the dirt under the feet, and if there is a climb and a heavy pack involved, it can be an excellent workout too. I've often come home from a good long hike and felt pretty done.

I bet you are right that your training has kept your MCL at bay ... Congratulations!

Vreni :)

PS Why is this comment going to the "it's getting harder not easier" post rather than your "why I like cycling" one?
Gerry said…
I was the big wide one he was following.
Having Marc as a riding partner on and off for almost 20 years I was shocked to hear about his and Edie's condition.
Being a breast cancer survivor (10 years this May) I understand their mindset.
I also believe that the cycling has made me a survivor in many ways........I rode through most of my chemo and only thought about the sunrise and ocean views verses the yuk!
Marc, keep it going see you in the AM.....

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...

I'm beginning to think I may never get better

I know it's only been just over 3 weeks since my surgery, and by some accounts, I might even be considered to be recovering faster than most. I also know my surgery was a little more problematic than most, having had a collapsed lung, and requiring 4 [drainage] tubes in me after surgery (most only have 2). Still I can't help but think, 3 weeks is a long time. Plus I'm still in need of my pain meds, and there does not appear to be any light at the end of this long, arduous tunnel. Everyone keeps telling me it will pass, and I will get better. Maybe that's true. After all the doctor did say my pain would likely persist for 4 to 6 weeks, but the longer it does persist, the more I begin to wonder  if all this has been worth it? One of the drawbacks of being laid up for so long is having way too much time on my hands to read. Too much time to read about the successes [and failures] of bypass surgery. Something, I've learned isn't all sunshine and roses, which only s...