Skip to main content

New Zealand - Two different countries

Since crossing to the north island two days ago, I have found it amazing just how different the two islands are. It's like we entered into a different world altogether.

While everyone is still very friendly, with only one exception so far, there are just so many other differences.

The south island is noticeably less populated and congested, and full of spectacular beauty and things to do, but the accommodations are sparse [or at least the more luxurious accommodations are harder to find], and the food, while very good, is for the most part very simple.

Of course you don't go to the south island for the food and the accommodations. You go there for the adventure.

On the other hand, the north island is more for the less adventurous. There is still a lot of beauty to take in, and things to do, but not like on the south island, nor is it as unique as on the south island. But the food, and the accommodations are a step above [at least more abundant, and easier to find].A\

So if I had it to do all over, you might ask, would I do it again? Of course! New Zealand is a great country, I would just be a little smarter the next time, and only pick one of the islands to go to.

It's like that old saying goes (or maybe it was a Mazda commercial)
If I only new then what I know now!

And just so you don't forget us, here's a shot of Edie and me, sitting on the veranda, just outside our room at the Ormlie Lodge, in Hasting, NZ after sipping on a nice sauvignon blanc. The weather has finally warmed up more to our liking.

Comments

Becky said…
Oy gevalt, it's always something.

"Dear Miss Roseanne Roaeanndanna", writes Mr. Richard Feder of Fort Lee, New Jersey,(who belongs in New Jersye) "what didn't you like about the food on the second Island? Was there something hard and white like a toenail in your burger? Did you see a princess with a little tiny piece of toilet paper stuck to her heel?"
It's always something.

PS Miss me?
Becky said…
I am still waiting to hear from you on the heat treat instructions for 3949/50.

(stomps her foot)

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...