Skip to main content

The Saddam Hussein interview

pissedoff.jpgI don't how many others watched the interview with the FBI agent who interrogated Saddam Hussein, on 60 minutes last night, but if you did, and you're not as outraged and pissed off as I am right now, you must live on another planet.

What our not so illustrious president George Bush has accomplished with the US attack on Iraq, is to play right into the hand of Iran, by doing exactly what Iran had been unsuccessful in doing for the past 20+ years, and that was to eliminate the one impediment to Iran's goal of dominating the entire middle east.

In that regard, Saddam Hussein (as loathsome as he was, and what many now use to rationalize the attack on Iraq) was actually doing our bidding. By perpetuating the lie about weapons of mass destruction, he was acting as a stabilizing force in that region, essentially looking out for our best interest.

What our attack on Iraq did, was open Pandora's box, taking away taking away whatever stabilizing force there was in the area.

I don't even want to imagine what the ultimate conclusion of this story will be, once we leave Iraq, when the new Shiite government of Iraq (which we helped install) aligns itself with the Shiite government of Iran, creating an alliance capable of threatening Israel, as well as our vital interests in the area, totally destabilizing the entire middle east region.

If George Bush, or anyone else out there, still believes Bush's legacy will be likened to that of Teddy Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Harry Truman or even Ronald Reagan they will be sadly mistaken.

The more likely scenario is George Bush will be compared to the likes of James Buchanan, Millard Fillmore, Herbert Hoover and Jimmy Carter.

Comments

Becky said…
I didn't watch it last night so started to watch part of it today at work.

Maybe the first George to go to war with Saddam actually "knew" what was going on and that's why he left him and merely placed sanctions.
Marc said…
I don't doubt that a bit. It's the same reason Truman didn't force the North Koreans in China back in the 50's.

It's just too bad George W, didn't listen to his father, or bother to at least ask him for advice.
Alan said…
He doesn't have to. He listens to a "greater" father.
Marc said…
You mean Dick Cheney? :)
Alan said…
No, Jesus Christ. Don't you remember the first debate.
Marc said…
Oh yeah! How could I have forgotten that?

Popular posts from this blog

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...

The results are in

And I am iron deficient, big time. [Which would account for my low hemoglobin] Test Result Ref Range IRON 30 59-158 mcg/dL TOTAL IRON BINDING CAPACITY 231 250-420 mcg/dL IRON SAT 13 20-50 % My Ferritin levels were good, but that could be because Ferritin is also an "acute phase reactant", that is sometimes increased with acute or chronic disease. Folate and B12 levels were also within the normal range. The only problem now is determining what is causing the iron deficiency, which in the case of men, is [very] rare. My oncologist has given me a Globin Fecal test to perform, and has scheduled me for a consultation with a colorectal surgeon to discuss performing a colonoscopy, which could be problematic because of my large spleen. In the mean time, I've decided to start taking an iron supplement, it's only the quantity that is causing me some consternation. I've been told by a very knowledgeable person that to overcome an iron deficiency, I need to be taking 300 mg o...

I'm beginning to think I may never get better

I know it's only been just over 3 weeks since my surgery, and by some accounts, I might even be considered to be recovering faster than most. I also know my surgery was a little more problematic than most, having had a collapsed lung, and requiring 4 [drainage] tubes in me after surgery (most only have 2). Still I can't help but think, 3 weeks is a long time. Plus I'm still in need of my pain meds, and there does not appear to be any light at the end of this long, arduous tunnel. Everyone keeps telling me it will pass, and I will get better. Maybe that's true. After all the doctor did say my pain would likely persist for 4 to 6 weeks, but the longer it does persist, the more I begin to wonder  if all this has been worth it? One of the drawbacks of being laid up for so long is having way too much time on my hands to read. Too much time to read about the successes [and failures] of bypass surgery. Something, I've learned isn't all sunshine and roses, which only s...