Skip to main content

Putting the Tour [d'France] in perspective

As I sat in front of the TV (I had a sore middle back this morning, and decided not to go for a bicycle ride), watching the Tour d'France this morning, I was thinking, none of the riders in the Tour would have sat out because of a slightly sore middle back. Of course they would have access to a good masseuse to smooth out any soreness.

Still, even considering that, what the riders in the Tour go through is absolutely amazing. A little soreness is nothing to these riders. Even if there was no masseuse, they would just ride through the pain.

Even crashes are nothing. Riders that are unlucky enough to crash, are typically bandaged up (many times while racing to catch up to the peloton), and then quickly get back on their bikes.

But even for those that don't crash, the effort that is put in by these riders, and the pain they go through is phenomenal.

To put that in perspective, one of the most difficult rides I do, is about 60 miles (95 kilometers) and has about 2600 feet (800 meters) of climbing.

That is nothing compared to what they do in the Tour d'France. Over a period of 23 days (there are 2 rest days), the riders will have covered 3550 kilometers (2200 miles), or 170 kilometers (105 miles) per day. And while there are 11 relatively flat stages, there are 7 mountain stages, consisting of 21 category 2 or harder climbs, plus a number of other smaller climbs, almost all of them being greater than 800 meters.

In other words, the riders in the Tour d'France do in just one climb, in one day, what it takes me 4 climbs to accomplish. And they will do several of those in one day. And after I've done that one ride, I have to take a day off. They have to do it again the next day, and the next.

And then there are the speeds. To put that in perspective, when the riders are in the peloton, leisurely riding, they are doing about 25 mph. (I could do that relatively easily, but I do like to have a few riders helping to block the wind in front of me). Riders that break away from the pack, have to do about 30 mph to get away. (I maybe could do that for a little while, but only if I had a number of riders blocking the wind in front of me).

But when the peloton is riding to catch a breakaway, or just wants to try and drop some riders, they will be riding about 36 mph. (I just can't go that fast, no matter who's in front of me.)

And in the final sprint, those guys are going over 40 mph. (I go that fast only in my dreams.)

Oh, and we can't forget about the down hills. On a down hill, especially if a rider has been dropped, and is trying to catch up to the peloton, they can typically go faster than a car on most of those down hills. (As for me, I just WON'T go that fast.)

The PGA (Professional Golfers Association), always ends their commercials with "These guys are good".

I actually think that term would be more appropriately used to describe the riders in the Tour d'France.

Comments

Marc said…
Mark, did you make a comment on this post?

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...