Skip to main content

Golf! It really is a 4 letter word

Today was the first day of the Long Beach Men's City Golf Championship, and I have never been so disappointed in a round of golf, than I was today.

I started out quite good, shooting 7 bogeys and 2 pars for a 43 for the first 9, which included a par on #18 (I started on the back 9), which is one of the more difficult holes, and one I seldom par.

But on the very next hole, that good game came to an abrupt end.

I hit an OK drive, but it ended up behind a tree in some standing water, but I still had a shot to the green. I just had to keep the ball below the branches of the tree. So I took a drop from the standing water, and hit what I thought was a perfect shot.

Unfortunately I hit the ball a little too hard, as it ran through the green, and out of bounds.

Unbelievable!

So I dropped another ball, and hit the same shot again. This time, I hit the ball into the sand trap in front of the green. I didn't have a bad lie, but I was so upset by the previous shot, I hit the sand shot over the green, and as you might guess, out of bounds again.

I ended up with a 9 on the hole, 5 over par. I was just devastated. I was playing so good, but it only takes one shot to screw everything up. I did manage a few good shots after that, but just couldn't recover, shooting a 51 on that 9, for a total score of 94.

And that was on a course which I typically always break 90. It's just not that tough a course.

On the bright side though, I'm only 4 strokes off the cut line (Flight F), and tomorrow's course is more difficult. So a lot of things can change.

I just have to try and put todays round out of my mind, and focus on tomorrow round, something that's a lot easier said than done.

Golf, it may not be the most physically demanding of sports, but it sure does test a persons character.

Comments

Becky said…
Well, I'm sorry to hear you had a bad day. Isn't golf like fishing? Any day at golf is a good day or something like that?

You have to retrieve your ball from the water? You should get a labrador to be your caddy

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...

Oxycodon Withdrawal

If there's one thing I've gained from this entire ordeal, it's a much greater appreciation for the trials and tribulations of drug addicts. For me it's been just over 4 days since my last Oxycodon, after only being on it for around 2 months, but the desire to take another pill still exists. While the severity of the symptoms of Oxycodon withdrawal I've been experiencing, i.e. abdominal cramps, chills, body aches, runny nose, etc. have subsided some, they have not gone away yet. And while some of that may be psychosomatic, it's still not hard for me to imagine how difficult it must be for someone addicted for a much longer period of time, or on a greater quantity to kick the habit. I even have a new found sympathy for Rush Limbaugh. It's not that the Oxycodon was so instrumental in relieving the tightness and discomfort in my chest, because it wasn't. [Although I'm starting to have some doubts.] It was because the Oxycodon provided a feeling of well ...