Skip to main content

Oh how I long for the old days sometimes

I'm old enough to remember when there wasn't a computer on everyones desk, and if we had to write a report, we used a typewriter.

Now there's no doubt the computer has been a powerful tool in increasing productivity, and easing the pain of typing reports, making modifications easier, but what happens when the computer system goes down?

When it happens to your home computer that's one thing, but when it happens at work it's a whole other problem.

When I arrived at work this morning, and turned on my computer, I discovered I could not connect to the server.

At first I thought it might have been just my computer, but after checking two other co-workers computers, and contacting our systems guy, I discovered that the power supply, including the back up power supply, in the server was fried, apparently from a system wide power outage, in the area, early this morning.

In short the server wasn't operating, and when that happens not much work gets done. Jobs don't get planned, quotes don't get sent out, parts don't get shipped and even emails were unavailable.

The worst part was the power supplies were a custom job, and were not available locally.

The systems guy tried some interim fixes, but the first fix didn't work, and the second was going to take a few hours, so I just wen't home.

The new power supplies should be in tomorrow morning, and everything should be back to normal. I'd hate to think I might have to leave work early again tomorrow.

Comments

Becky said…
I miss a typewriter from time to time. I liked the bell the best.

They gave John insulin at urgent care and he's giving me fits, but I should probably rant about that on my blog :-)

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...