Skip to main content

Life's too short!

And there are no guarantees it won't get even shorter.

I became keenly aware of that fact almost 5 years ago, as did my wife a year ago, and yesterday, so did Becky's brother-in-law. (And this comes on the heels of being informed of the death of a bicyclist, two weeks ago, hit by a car on Colima Rd, in Whittier, in an area I frequently ride my bike.)

As I was driving home from work yesterday down Pacific Coast Highway (PCH), traffic was slowing to view, what appeared to be a very bad accident, involving a motorcyclist, on the opposite side of the road. I even managed to sneak a quick glance, which I don't typically do, to see a person lying face down, stretched out on the ground.

It certainly wasn't a pleasant site, but I managed to quickly put it out of my mind, and continue on my way.

It's not that I am a cold, heartless person, but it isn't at all uncommon to see accidents, or hear of others dying or being seriously injured in traffic accidents. It's just that most people, myself included, tend to put it out of their minds, thinking it could never happen to them.

But when Becky emailed me yesterday evening, wanting to know if I ran into any traffic, on PCH, on my way home, and then informing me it was her brother-in-law, who was the one killed in the accident I passed by, it was no longer so easy to just put out of my mind.

Although I didn't know either of the individuals involved in these two tragic events, I do know Becky's husband (he did our backyard & barbecue), and I definitely can relate to the bicyclist, all of which adds greater credence to a post I did several months ago titled The future, don't count on it!

Comments

Hans said…
I am a reporter for the Malibu newspaper. I would like to write an obituary. Can you please e-mail me with contact information for you? I owuld like to speak with you.

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...