Skip to main content

Traveling overseas?

I think everyone should be required to travel to at least one foreign country. It's important for everyone in the world, to experience first hand how the rest of the world lives! You can never gain a full appreciation of how the rest of the world thinks, how they look at life, and the cultural differences that exist in the world, unless you experience it first hand.

My wife and I have been to Tahiti, Fiji twice, Bonaire, England, France and most recently Italy. I've also been to Okinawa, Japan (where I lived for a year and a half while in the Army), as well as Hong Kong, Taiwan, the Phillipines (when it was safe for Americans to go there) and Saba.

While there were some problems, for the most parts, the good points always outweighed the bad. And even the bad experiences represented a learning experience.

Most importantly though, visiting other countries, gives you a greater appreciation of just how good we have it in the US, as well as pointing out some of the inequities we must deal with also.

By inequites, you probably think that I am going to talk about health care. Well, you guessed wrong. While health care is a big issue of mine, what I want to talk about in this post is the food.

Of all the countries we've visited, we enjoyed the food in France the best. We didn't expect much from the food in England, but were very much surprised by an Indian, and an Italian restaurant we visited there. The food in Italy was a big disappointment though. The only good meal we had was at the Costello Banfi winery restaurant, and that was a French dinner. As for some of the tropical islands we visited, the food was good, but we enjoyed those places for much different reasons.

Still the food in France, and the overall dining experience, was several steps above the food we have experienced anywhere else in the world, including the US, which as a result has turned into a double edged sword.

The food and the wine were just too good. It has spoiled us. It seems, no matter where we go now in the US, the food, and the overall dining experience just doesn't measure up, with maybe the exception of San Francisco, which does come close.

And Saturday night was no exception. We were celebrating our 32nd wedding anniversary, and we decided to go to dinner, at what I was expecting to be a nice French restaurant (The write up sounded good, and they had a nice website) in the city of Fullerton, CA, called The Cellar.

Our first impression was good. it was a nice quaint restaurant down stairs from a mall of sorts, with about 4 other restaurants. Everyone was very attentive, as we were seated, and the wine list appeared to be extensive. And while it was a step above a previous dining experience, back in June, I doubt we'll go back.

I say the wine list appeared extensive, because the first wine I selected, a 2002 Laetitia Pinot Noir, Les Galet Vineyard, was not available. The waiter offered a 2004 Rochioli Pinot Noir in its place, and I said OK. I make note of this because the couple at the table next to us, were told the wine they selected was out also. Even their second selection was not available. Finally their third selection was available.

Then they tried to serve the Pinot in a Cabernet glass. And the glass was not even a good quality glass, which will at least have a cut rim. When I asked the wine steward for a Burgundy glass, he tried to give me a Chianti glass. As it turned out the restaurant did not have any Burgundy glasses (a French restaurant without Burgundy glasses????), so we decided to stick with the Cabernet glass.

Any respectable restaurant, with a wine selection, apparently as extensive as this one, would know better. That would have never happened in France, even with lesser quality wines. At least the wine was good, in spite of the incorrect glass.

Anywaze, to go on! We started off ordering the lobster bisque, which, according to the restaurant, is one of the top 5 lobster bisques in the country, followed by the Chateaubriand for two, and a chocolate souffle for dessert.

The lobster bisque was good, but one of the top 5? I don't think so, plus it was served barely above room temperature. The Chateaubriand was slightly undercooked, but still good, and the chocolate souffle? Well that's another story.

Not only was it served burnt, but it was mediocre at best. I should have sent it back, but at that point we just wanted to leave.

At least the service was excellent, and I left a good tip.

Still, that doesn't change the fact, that ever since we went to France in 2003, it seems that nothing in this country, or elsewhere, can measure up to the quality of service and food we encountered during our visit to France. The French are light years ahead of the US, and the rest of the world, when it comes to the dining experience.

Beware though, France is not cheap, but it's definitely worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...