Skip to main content

Ed Bradley Dies!

By now I'm sure that everyone has heard this news already, but that isn't the reason I am posting anything on it.

The fact that he died of chronic lymphocytic leukemia is certainly pertinent to this blog, but what I thought was even more relevant was the fact that very few people, even among his co-workers, were aware of his illness.

What makes some people, myself included, keep such a thing a secret? I know I had my reasons at the time, and while I don't go around announcing to the world that I am sick (unless of course you think of this blog as an announcement to the world), I don't try to hide it anymore either.

Still the fact remains, that many people, who I am in continual contact with, do not know that I have Mantle Cell Lymphoma.

I just thought that was interesting. I can consider myself in the same company as Ed Bradley!

Comments

Becky said…
And even though I know, I still forget. I think it's because I don't want to believe it.

It's a double-edges sword. If people knew he was ill perhaps they would have treated him differently, he obviously didn't want that. But then again, those that knew and cared about, that didn't know, have missed an opportunity to let him know how much he meant to them. And now the living are left with this void, the coulda-woulda-shoulda's.

You can never know what another what another person is going through, even if you know, because the information we receive is not the same as the actual experience.

So, perhaps it's a good time to reflect on the words of Philo of Alexandria...

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...