Skip to main content

Quantity vs Quality

It's a concept that comes up everyday in life. When I go ride my bike, it's not the number of miles I put in that is important, but it's the quality of the training session, how much effort I put into those miles, that counts. On the golf course it's even easier. It's not how far you hit the ball, but how far you hit the ball in the fairway.

And it shouldn't be any different in every other aspect of our lives! Or should it?

I've often wondered what I would do, or how I would feel, when (if) I get to a point in life, where I can't ride my bike, play a round of golf, enjoy eating and drinking wine as much as I do, and am relegated to sitting around the house watching reruns of I Love Lucy.

I've often told my wife (who is a nurse), when I get to that point, just shoot me up with morphine or heroine, and let me go happy and peacefully! I'm not so sure she would do that, but that is what I think I would want.

Of course it's easy for me to say that now, since I'm no where near that point in life.

But my 85 year old aunt, who is living with my wife and me, is either there now, or very close to being at that point in life.

To start off, she has congestive heart failure, less then 10% kidney function, severe kyfosis which makes it difficult for her to breathe, high blood pressure, and the list goes on. She's even at a point now with her kidneys, that she is on a "renal diet", that is low sodium, low potassium, low protein, or in other words pretty much nothing. Next step is dialysis.

The question becomes is that a life really worth living? Obviously that's not my decision to make, it's her decision. But eventually it becomes a societal issue.

Right now my wife and I provide for most of Sylvia's care, and she does a decent job of taking care of herself when we're not around. We have actually even seen a slight improvement in her well being, by insuring that she eats properly, and cajoling her into exercising to the extent she is able. She has also developed a tremendous attachment to our cat Morris, who she constantly obsessives over. Morris seems to have given her a greater purpose in life.

But that still didn't prevent two trips to the ER over the past year and a half, once for a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack), and another when she was in respiratory distress. Oh, and let's not forget about the once a week trips to the doctors for ongoing examinations and shots of Procrit, and the numerous medications she takes, all of which are paid by Medicare Parts A, B and D.

But at what point does she become a burden on society? When does the cost exceed the benefit? It's just not that easy to put a price tag on human life, but eventually we, as a society, may have to!

Even with all that, I'm not sure that would be the type of life I would want to live. Of course, like I said before, I'm not at that point in life yet, so it is difficult for me to say with any certainty how I would react under those circumstances.

Still, I can't help wondering, knowing how quickly things can change, is it the quantity or the quality that matters?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vaccine Mandates, what are they good for?

Not much, that's for sure! Simply showing evidence of receiving a Covid-19 vaccine (whether fake or not), does not mean you are protected from getting Covid-19, nor spreading it, if infected. We are all different, and too many of us, i.e. people who are immunocompromised/ immunosupressed, the elderly, or others for various reasons, do not [cannot] mount an immune response as good as younger and healthier individuals. What is evidence of immunity is a quantitative antibody test showing you have developed antibodies, and to what degree, either from natural immunity or the vaccine.  That is what we should be testing for. That is what is important. But for too long, many, i.e. the FDA, doctors, and other health experts discouraged people (and still are) from getting antibody tests, because there was little knowledge about what level of antibodies are needed to impart immunity to the virus. That of course is true, to some extent, but how can we ever find out [learn] the answer to that q

History IS repeating itself

I didn't grow up during the rise and fall of Hitler and Nazi Germany, so for me to claim it feels like those are the times we are living in now, must be taken with a grain of salt. But I have seen enough movies, and read enough history to know, if the times we're living in now are not akin to the rise of a Nazism and Facism in Europe in the 1930's and 1940's, then we're not far off. If you can't see the parallels with Nazi Germany, then you must be living in a different country than me. Republicans and other right wing extremists will stop at nothing to subvert the will of the majority, forcing their beliefs, that they are the superior race and have been appointed by God, to impose their will on America, while they blame all our problems on immigrants, blacks and Jews. As I speak, Mitch McConnell, and his minions are raising roadblocks to all legislation designed to help average Americans under the guise of fiscal responsibility. They condone violent and verba

Open letter to all Democrats

Stop the nonsense! Continuing to go after Trump, without any hope of getting a conviction, does nothing more than provide Republicans with an obstructionist dialogue (now that they have come up with the unconstitutional talking point) in addition to giving Trump much needed publicity, when we should be ignoring him. It's the pure definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result! Instead Democrats need to be laser focused on what is important to all Americans, i.e. healthcare, Social Security and Medicare, infrastructure reform, the Covid-19 vaccine rollout, to name just a few. And when you do talk about Trump, simply steer the conversation as to how the Trump administration botched everything, how Trump is responsible for the deaths of 400,000+ Americans, due to his inaction and the down playing of the pandemic, plus the deaths of 2 Capitol policeman during the insurrection Trump provoked and incited on January 6, 2021.