Skip to main content

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

I've noticed lately that I may have actually gone "over the top" as far as being obsessively compulsive. I have always had some compulsive behavior patterns, but lately I seem to be more aware of them. Hopefully that is the first sign which can lead to a cure. But do I really want to be cured?

One of my first compulsions started after being diagnosed with MCL. Within about a month of diagnosis, I decided to stop taking any medications or supplements of any kind, and that includes such seemingly innocuous items as aspirin or even a multivitamin. In fact I wouldn't even put some lotion on two mosquito bites, I received the other day, to ease the itching. I chose to suffer, in the belief that it was all the vitamins and other nutritional items I took prior to being diagnosed with MCL, that led to my diagnosis.

Then there is my obsessive need to drink almost two quarts of decaffeinated green tea (4 tea bags) a day. I've read that something in the green tea acts as an anti-oxidant to prevent cancer, or at least slow the advancement in my case.

Now how misquided or idiotic does that sound? I refuse to take any medication or supplements, because I think that may have contributed to my MCL, but I intentionally drink lots of green tea.

Then there is my obsession with cycling and golf. So far this month, I have put on 460 miles, and it's only the 19th of July. I do believe that it is the exercise that has kept my lymphoma in check. But lately I have been obsessing over my weight, which I have been continually stressing over in an attempt to lose an additional 15 pounds, which has made me want to ride even more than usual. Unfortunately I have been having a great deal of trouble losing those 15 pounds, because I also have this compulsion to eat everything in sight.

Now as far as golfing goes, I'm not sure I want to go into that, but if it wasn't for it being as hot as it has been lately, I would be playing or practicing everyday. Suffice it to say, I think about my game, even when riding my bike, and always anticipating my next round of golf.

So what does everyone think? Do I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), or are these just normal obsessions that everyone has?

Comments

Becky said…
I think (and this is just an opinion) that perhaps because you have something that you have no control over you go a little overboard in the areas that you do have control over. Like depriving yourself of medication. If you focus on what you can control that which you cannot control doesn't take over and you win.

You're so competive.

Or

Taking control is a much healthier attitude than just giving up or in. You're are cognizant that we all have an expiration date and you are intelligent enough to realize that you can pack each day with life whereas others merely exist.

Weather permitting, of course.

Popular posts from this blog

Vaccine Mandates, what are they good for?

Not much, that's for sure! Simply showing evidence of receiving a Covid-19 vaccine (whether fake or not), does not mean you are protected from getting Covid-19, nor spreading it, if infected. We are all different, and too many of us, i.e. people who are immunocompromised/ immunosupressed, the elderly, or others for various reasons, do not [cannot] mount an immune response as good as younger and healthier individuals. What is evidence of immunity is a quantitative antibody test showing you have developed antibodies, and to what degree, either from natural immunity or the vaccine.  That is what we should be testing for. That is what is important. But for too long, many, i.e. the FDA, doctors, and other health experts discouraged people (and still are) from getting antibody tests, because there was little knowledge about what level of antibodies are needed to impart immunity to the virus. That of course is true, to some extent, but how can we ever find out [learn] the answer to that q

History IS repeating itself

I didn't grow up during the rise and fall of Hitler and Nazi Germany, so for me to claim it feels like those are the times we are living in now, must be taken with a grain of salt. But I have seen enough movies, and read enough history to know, if the times we're living in now are not akin to the rise of a Nazism and Facism in Europe in the 1930's and 1940's, then we're not far off. If you can't see the parallels with Nazi Germany, then you must be living in a different country than me. Republicans and other right wing extremists will stop at nothing to subvert the will of the majority, forcing their beliefs, that they are the superior race and have been appointed by God, to impose their will on America, while they blame all our problems on immigrants, blacks and Jews. As I speak, Mitch McConnell, and his minions are raising roadblocks to all legislation designed to help average Americans under the guise of fiscal responsibility. They condone violent and verba

Open letter to all Democrats

Stop the nonsense! Continuing to go after Trump, without any hope of getting a conviction, does nothing more than provide Republicans with an obstructionist dialogue (now that they have come up with the unconstitutional talking point) in addition to giving Trump much needed publicity, when we should be ignoring him. It's the pure definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result! Instead Democrats need to be laser focused on what is important to all Americans, i.e. healthcare, Social Security and Medicare, infrastructure reform, the Covid-19 vaccine rollout, to name just a few. And when you do talk about Trump, simply steer the conversation as to how the Trump administration botched everything, how Trump is responsible for the deaths of 400,000+ Americans, due to his inaction and the down playing of the pandemic, plus the deaths of 2 Capitol policeman during the insurrection Trump provoked and incited on January 6, 2021.