Skip to main content

Am I just getting old, or is there more to it?

A number of years ago, I was watching a television series with Ernest Borgnine. He was retired, and was playing amateur detective with 2 of his friends. During the episode, he asked somebody if he knew what it was like being old. The guy didn't know the answer, so Ernest Borgnine gave the following response, which I have a paraphased below, because I don't remember the exact quote.

There is no difference being old versus being young. The mind is as fresh as ever, it's just the body doesn't react in the same way.


That is exactly how I felt yesterday after riding my bike. I know I'll be 58 years old in less then a month, and I shouldn't expect to be able to perform as well as I did when I was 38, but that doesn't keep me from thinking that I can.

I had done a fairly hard 38 mile ride on Thursday in the hills of Whittier, CA, followed by another hard and fast paced 45 mile ride with one of the local bike clubs in the area on Saturday, so maybe I shouldn't have ridden on Sunday.

Typically I wouldn't ride, or I would do an easy ride on Sunday, but when the other bike club in the area, that I usually ride with on Sunday, and who usually does an easy ride on Sunday, decided to do Turnbull Canyon, I had a choice to make.

The Turnbull Canyon ride goes through Whitter, CA, and is essentially the same ride I did on Thursday, but adds about 15 miles in distance and about 500 feet of climbing, and it was either do that ride, or ride by myself. Since I was already dressed and out of the house, and I have done two hard workouts in a row in the past without much trouble (I still think I am in pretty good shape), I decided to go with the club.

I just wish I hadn't.

Almost from the moment I got started, I knew it was a bad decision. I did not feel right. I got dropped within the first mile on the first hill, but did manage to get to the top of the hill before one other rider. Still I was disappointed, and my time was almost a minute slower than my Thursday time, and there was more riding, and climbing ahead. Plus I was tired.

I did manage to complete the entire ride, but resorted to "sitting in" the pack a lot. For those of you not familiar with the term "sitting in", think of bicycle racing like auto racing. In many cases you will see a race car following another car very closely. The car gets in a slip stream, and is able to maintain the same speed as the car in front, but uses much less energy. You get the same benefit when riding a bike, and I had to do a lot of that on Sunday.

After the ride, I was pooped. I just laid around the house, watching TV, pretty much doing nothing trying to recover. Today, I am happy to report, I am feeling much better, and plan on practicing my golf game this morning. I'd like to play, but we are having a barbecue at our house today, and I have to get ready for that.

I just hope that the tiredness I felt yesterday, was because I am getting older, and the body isn't responding the way I expect it to, and not because something else is going on. From the way I feel today, I think it is the former. I just have to get used to the fact that I'm not as young as I used to be. It's just that the mind isn't telling me that.

Comments

Becky said…
Egad! You rode farther than I did this weekend and I was on a horse. Bubba say's hi by the way.

I got three days of riding in this weekend. Finally, the weather is working in my favor.

Bubba and I rode alone today and for the first time he didn't try to trot home. Even he was tired and he's only 45!

As usual you have successfully planted a subliminal suggestion regarding your birthday.

It's all about me,Kashinsky.

Popular posts from this blog

Vaccine Mandates, what are they good for?

Not much, that's for sure! Simply showing evidence of receiving a Covid-19 vaccine (whether fake or not), does not mean you are protected from getting Covid-19, nor spreading it, if infected. We are all different, and too many of us, i.e. people who are immunocompromised/ immunosupressed, the elderly, or others for various reasons, do not [cannot] mount an immune response as good as younger and healthier individuals. What is evidence of immunity is a quantitative antibody test showing you have developed antibodies, and to what degree, either from natural immunity or the vaccine.  That is what we should be testing for. That is what is important. But for too long, many, i.e. the FDA, doctors, and other health experts discouraged people (and still are) from getting antibody tests, because there was little knowledge about what level of antibodies are needed to impart immunity to the virus. That of course is true, to some extent, but how can we ever find out [learn] the answer to that q

History IS repeating itself

I didn't grow up during the rise and fall of Hitler and Nazi Germany, so for me to claim it feels like those are the times we are living in now, must be taken with a grain of salt. But I have seen enough movies, and read enough history to know, if the times we're living in now are not akin to the rise of a Nazism and Facism in Europe in the 1930's and 1940's, then we're not far off. If you can't see the parallels with Nazi Germany, then you must be living in a different country than me. Republicans and other right wing extremists will stop at nothing to subvert the will of the majority, forcing their beliefs, that they are the superior race and have been appointed by God, to impose their will on America, while they blame all our problems on immigrants, blacks and Jews. As I speak, Mitch McConnell, and his minions are raising roadblocks to all legislation designed to help average Americans under the guise of fiscal responsibility. They condone violent and verba

Open letter to all Democrats

Stop the nonsense! Continuing to go after Trump, without any hope of getting a conviction, does nothing more than provide Republicans with an obstructionist dialogue (now that they have come up with the unconstitutional talking point) in addition to giving Trump much needed publicity, when we should be ignoring him. It's the pure definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result! Instead Democrats need to be laser focused on what is important to all Americans, i.e. healthcare, Social Security and Medicare, infrastructure reform, the Covid-19 vaccine rollout, to name just a few. And when you do talk about Trump, simply steer the conversation as to how the Trump administration botched everything, how Trump is responsible for the deaths of 400,000+ Americans, due to his inaction and the down playing of the pandemic, plus the deaths of 2 Capitol policeman during the insurrection Trump provoked and incited on January 6, 2021.