Skip to main content

Even in California it Gets Cold in February!

This is always the time of year I hate the most. I'm sure I'm not alone in that belief, but that still doesn't make it any more reassuring.

This past week did, however, seem unlike any other I can remember in a long time. It's not so much that it was cold in the mornings, which is typical most of the time for soCal, but its that the cold never seemed to mitigate throughout the day, making golfing and cylcing more difficult.

I still managed to get in 3 rounds of golf on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday last week, although Saturday was somewhat difficult due to the added rain. Fortunately it only rained for a total of 3 holes, but the sun only shined briefly, and it never warmed up any significant amount. I did manage to ride my bike on Friday, but haven't ridden since then, and may just take off another couple of days to rest up. I was a little sore on Sunday, I hope from all the golfing I did the past week.

The biggest problem I have right now is, I just don't seem to have a lot of energy, and I'm not sure if the cause is my MCL, or if it's merely psychological due to the time of year, and other factors occurring at the same time. While my hemoglobin (Hg) is still above 13, which would be OK if I were a woman, it is below average for a man. That could be part of the problem, although most experts don't believe you experience much of an impact until the Hg falls below 10.

My oncologist's has finally got all his licensing and paperwork completed for his move to Corpus Christi, and his last day is the 23rd of February, so I had to schedule an appointment with my new oncologist. I've really grown attached to my current oncologist, so having to change could be adding to my lack of energy. (I hate to use the word depression.) I just hope my new oncologist is just as trainable.

Plus I am still gaining weight. I was up to 163 lbs this AM, and my old jeans actually fit me again. Some people still think I could stand to gain a few more pounds, but I don't agree. My goal is to get back to 145 lbs, so I'm hoping to accomplish that by the end of March, just two months behind my original schedule.

The only bit of good news was an improved lymphocyte count as of my last blood test on Wednesday. The lymphocyte count dropped approximately 10K with all the other counts remaining relatively stable. Platelets, a major indicator of bone marrow performance, was still excellent at 263 (reference range 140-400). Still I've learned that one test does not a trend indicate, so before I can really get too excited, I have to wait for my follow up test in about two weeks.

Only time will tell. I'm still looking forward to my 40th high school reunion in September, so I am planning to make it until at least then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vaccine Mandates, what are they good for?

Not much, that's for sure! Simply showing evidence of receiving a Covid-19 vaccine (whether fake or not), does not mean you are protected from getting Covid-19, nor spreading it, if infected. We are all different, and too many of us, i.e. people who are immunocompromised/ immunosupressed, the elderly, or others for various reasons, do not [cannot] mount an immune response as good as younger and healthier individuals. What is evidence of immunity is a quantitative antibody test showing you have developed antibodies, and to what degree, either from natural immunity or the vaccine.  That is what we should be testing for. That is what is important. But for too long, many, i.e. the FDA, doctors, and other health experts discouraged people (and still are) from getting antibody tests, because there was little knowledge about what level of antibodies are needed to impart immunity to the virus. That of course is true, to some extent, but how can we ever find out [learn] the answer to that q

History IS repeating itself

I didn't grow up during the rise and fall of Hitler and Nazi Germany, so for me to claim it feels like those are the times we are living in now, must be taken with a grain of salt. But I have seen enough movies, and read enough history to know, if the times we're living in now are not akin to the rise of a Nazism and Facism in Europe in the 1930's and 1940's, then we're not far off. If you can't see the parallels with Nazi Germany, then you must be living in a different country than me. Republicans and other right wing extremists will stop at nothing to subvert the will of the majority, forcing their beliefs, that they are the superior race and have been appointed by God, to impose their will on America, while they blame all our problems on immigrants, blacks and Jews. As I speak, Mitch McConnell, and his minions are raising roadblocks to all legislation designed to help average Americans under the guise of fiscal responsibility. They condone violent and verba

Open letter to all Democrats

Stop the nonsense! Continuing to go after Trump, without any hope of getting a conviction, does nothing more than provide Republicans with an obstructionist dialogue (now that they have come up with the unconstitutional talking point) in addition to giving Trump much needed publicity, when we should be ignoring him. It's the pure definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result! Instead Democrats need to be laser focused on what is important to all Americans, i.e. healthcare, Social Security and Medicare, infrastructure reform, the Covid-19 vaccine rollout, to name just a few. And when you do talk about Trump, simply steer the conversation as to how the Trump administration botched everything, how Trump is responsible for the deaths of 400,000+ Americans, due to his inaction and the down playing of the pandemic, plus the deaths of 2 Capitol policeman during the insurrection Trump provoked and incited on January 6, 2021.