Skip to main content

It's always something

I received the results of my latest blood work today, and what seemingly has become a trend lately, something never seen before has shown up.

This time it's Polychromasia, and the indication was I have a 'few'.

Now if you read the explanation of Polychromasia, I hope you're not as confused as I am, especially about the following statements.
A slight degree of polychromasia is normal.

So is a slight degree the same as 'few'?
Increases in polychromasia suggest an increased bone marrow response. [and] No polychromasia correlates with non-responsive, anemic patients.........

I don't know, but both those statements sound like polychromasia is a good thing.

I'm just not so sure that is an accurate interpretation. Hopefully my expert source in this area will respond to my concerns shortly, with a more enlightened explanation.

Anywaze, other than that, with the exception of a 20% jump in my lymphocyte count, and the fact I got dropped from the group this morning, sooner than I was hoping, my RBC, hemoglobin and platelets either showed a very slight uptrend, or at a minimum they remained stable.

Comments

Becky said…
I don't know how you can read this stuff without going cross eyed. Erythrocyte? Cytoplasm?

And Romanowsky stains? Weren't those found at the Imperial family's murder scene?

All in all sounds like good news?
Marc said…
I'm just not confident in that interpretation, and I'll hold judgement until I get an expert to educate me on the subject.
Alan Posner said…
Marc,

I'm certainly no expert in hematology, but if memory serves me, polychromasia is simply the release of RBC's from the bone marrow before they are completly mature. If there are only a small number it's probably nothing to worry about. I suspect extreme excercise can do it, as can hypoxia from high altitudes.

Would just keep on eye on it.

Alan
Marc said…
Well thanks for telling me that after I just finished punishing myself riding in the hills of Whittier this morning.

Anyways, my expert source has told me that you are basically correct. It's an indication of the bone marrow trying to increase the amount of red blood cells (RBC's) to correct an anemia. And as we all know I am anemic.

Also when a patient is being treated for anemia, if there is no polychromasia then that means it's either the wrong treatment or the bone marrow isn't functioning.

So it doesn't sound necessarily like a bad thing, at least in my case, except for the fact it may be an indication of a malfunctioning spleen.

Remember, it's always something.

Popular posts from this blog

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...

My Last Post (????)

First it was my Facebook page, then it was my smart phone, and now it's the Internet I read in the latest AARP magazine, if you want a job you need a presence on the Internet. You need a Facebook account, Twitter account, Linked in account. etc. If you don't have a presence, your resume will likely be tossed. Say what? I can understand wanting employees to be competent in the use of a computer, and adept at navigating the internet, but requiring someone be connected to one or more of the myriad of social media networks. That's just not right! The use of the internet has grown too far, expanding far beyond its original intent, which was to ensure an unbroken line of communication during times of war, and morphing into something far more sinister. Some might even consider dangerous. The internet has managed to integrate itself into the very fabric of our society, and is being used by all the worlds governments and large corporations, to gather information about all of us with...

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...