Skip to main content

US Healthcare: The finest in the world?

Just don't go to the doctor!

Here are just a couple of examples why you might think twice before seeking care.

From bmj.com

Healthcare group agrees $500m settlement for unnecessary surgery


The second largest health provider in the United States, Tenet Healthcare, has agreed to pay nearly $500m (£270m; 390m) to settle claims that doctors did unnecessary surgery at the Redding Hospital, in Redding, California.

The hospital was raided by 40 agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation in 2002 after it received reports that doctors were performing numerous unnecessary cardiac operations


How about this one from CBS News

Because The Doctor Isn't Always Right

It was a nagging cough that first sent Chuck Pandrea's wife Janet to her family doctor in Florida. She was then referred [to] a specialist.

"He confirmed that she had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in the very early stages. And the sooner we could start treatment, the better it would be," he says of the doctor.

"I went with her every time to, to the treatments. And she'd be sitting in that chair just religiously thinking it's going to make her feel better, make her better. And it didn't happen again," Pandrea says.

Less than three months later, Janet Pandrea was dead.....

Devastated, Chuck requested an autopsy, The Early Show's Dr. Emily Senay reports.

"He told me that she didn't have cancer and never did," ...More


Ok, I'm sure you've got the point now, but here's one more. From the Arizona Daily Star.

Cancer-free: the appalling, shocking news

After living in the shadow of fatal cancer for years, most people would erupt with joy to find they never had the disease at all.

Not so for Janice Lomen. ....

"I just did not know what to do, what to think," Lomen said of the moment she learned she did not have multiple myeloma, a rare, incurable cancer of the bone marrow ....

Not only did she not have the cancer, but the chemotherapy treatment she had received left her at risk of another disease: leukemia....More


Of course these incidences are not the norm, nor are they typical of the types of unnecessary tests, procedures or treatments that are performed by doctors, but neither are they uncommon.

As long as the government continues to reduce Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements, as long as insurance companies are permitted to squeeze doctors into providing care for less and less money, and as long as hospitals are required to provide free care to the uninsured, expect to see more of the same.

Like health insurance companies, health care providers are businesses too, and under those circumstances, the only way health care providers can make ends meet, is to insure they see more and more sick patients and treat them, whether they really need it or not. And short of the health insurers providing second opinions out of their own pockets, who is there to dispute an incorrect diagnosis or an inappropriate treatment.

Now I'm not saying that every doctor will act this way. In fact I would give most doctors the benefit of the doubt, that they would not act in such a manner. But neither am I naive enough to think that there aren't any doctors who would.

All I am really trying to say here is, don't put your full faith and trust in your doctor. Not only might your doctor be unscrupulous, but doctors are human, and subject to making errors.

Always seek a second opinion before beginning any treatment, ask questions, review all your tests, research the internet, ask the advice of someone you trust implicitly and make damn sure you agree with the diagnosis and treatment plan, and know all the potential risks.

I did, and that was when I actually believed the US did have the best health care in the world!

Comments

Becky said…
And don't forget if they can't do surgery for illnesses like depression they like to prescribe pills rather than treat the patient with therapy. There has been a 50% reduction of psychotherapy in our country due to the obstacles managed care organizations place before the patients and let's not forget the tremendous amount of advertising by the drug companies.

It's more economical to give the patient pills even though research shows that physchotherapy alone is much more beneficial to the patient.

And the worst part is most of the 17 Million American who have been prescrive Prozak alone probably don't even need it They were merely watching a television commercial that told them they did.

Are you tired, have trouble sleeping, feel uncomfortable in a room full of strangers, do people annoy you, are you kids out of control?

If so, you're not alone. It's called life.

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...