Skip to main content

Evidence the flu shot doesn't work?

Despite no clinical evidence of the effectiveness of the flu shot for those with a compromised immune system, most experts will agree it's not effective. The immune system just can't mount the necessary response to the vaccine to fight off the flu.

On that same note, most experts will also tell you, getting a flu shot will do no harm, so I've always gotten a flu shot, hoping the experts wrong.

Unfortunately this year has almost convinced me of the futility of getting a flu shot.

For the second time this year, I've gotten sick. Both times with the same symptoms, headache, runny nose and sore throat, and both times lasting about the same number of days. [Note: I am feeling somewhat better, but still experiencing some lingering effects.]

Maybe I should have gotten a second shot. Maybe it wasn't even the flu that I contracted, or maybe it was a different strain of the flu. I can't be sure.

What I can be sure of is how much this experience highlights the much greater importance of everyone else getting their flu shot(s), and staying away from others when they are feeling sick, preventing the spread of any germs or viruses, especially to those who do not have the ability to mount a proper defense.

Comments

Gary P said…
Marc, I have multiple myeloma an incurable blood cancer and I have heard the same thing from my doctor. I still take the shot for the can't hurt reason. He recommends that you take Tamiflu( daily during the flu season). I used to do that, but now just take it whenever I start to feel a cold or flu coming on. Because these often turn into infections for me, I will take Zpak antibiotic whenever I start to show a temp 2 to 3 degrees over normal. Seems to work for me, so far. Best Regard / gary@myelomasurvival.com
Alan said…
I wonder if you ever (in your life) had true flu (influenza). I had the flu once in my life and it was pretty obvious it was more than a cold.

Did you have fever and chills? Muscle aches. Without those I suspect you had a common URI for which a flu shot wouldn't be expected to prevent.
Marc said…
Great! An upper respiratory infection. Just what I needed to hear. Particularly since increased infections are one of the symptoms of disease progression. Couple that with abnormal IgA and IgM test results, and the eye infection I had this past October, things certainly don't seem to be improving.

It's still good to know, all those flu shots may not have been in vain.

And thanks for the input Gary. I'm still hesitant to take any sort of medications. I feel the time for that will come soon enough.
Alan said…
I've never heard of an increased risk of URI's (colds) in immunosuppressed people. (correct me if I'm wrong).
Most of the infections in them are bacterial and fungal.

So stop worrying about a cold.
Marc said…
And what then? I'll just have to find something else to worry about! :)
Alan said…
I wonder if you remember one of our early conversations when you were first diagnosed? I along with most doctors never heard of MCL. Based on your blood work we would have assumed you had CLL and I told you people with that diagnosis can live almost forever.

I think you proved me right. Before docs became aware of MCL you would have been lumped in with CLL with it's good prognosis.

I'll bet the people with MCL who have had poor survival are just a tip of the iceberg of the total MCL population. You probably fall in the majority of MCL patients that carry the diagnosis of CLL.

Is that clear?

In any event stop worrying. Life's too short.

(I should talk, I'm the worry wart of all time).
Marc said…
I vaguely remember. Remember, that was a long time ago.

I guess that's why I was initially diagnosed with CLL. I knew that wasn't correct (my immunophenotype didn't confirm CLL), but my original doctor was interested in pursuing any further (HMO). It was only after going to Kaiser and convincing the doctors there, I didn't have CLL did I get a correct diagnosis.

I've just been very lucky, in that my MCL has behaved very indolently. Most do not, as do many with CLL. I just can't help worrying about how much longer my luck can hold out.

In any event, my "cold" seems to have run its course about now. With the exception of a slight runny nose, I'm feeling pretty good.

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...