Skip to main content

I don't need a lot to be happy

I don't need a fancy car. My 1993 Lexus SC coupe still looks like new, and works just fine. I don't need a big luxurious house on a golf course or on the beach somewhere. My 1800 square foot home, 3/4 of a mile from Eldorado Park golf course, and 4 miles from the beach is quite comfortable, and I don't have the need to be traveling the world, spending weeks away from home, visiting exotic destinations.

Patagonia

But sometimes, despite not needing some things, you want them anyways.  A new Mercedes Benz E Class Coupe is one such thing I would like to have, but mostly I want to go to South America and visit the wine country's of Argentina and Chile, and experience the eco tourism of Patagonia.

The only problem is, a trip to South America would entail a minimum of 15 hours of travel time (each way), and 3 weeks away from home [and off the bike], two [three] things I don't relish. Plus I'm not sure Edie has her heart set on this trip as much as I do, as the trip to Patagonia does have some physical challenges.

So here I sit, trying to decide whether 15 hours of travel time, and 3 weeks away from home is worth it. I know I want to go [this could be a once in a lifetime trip], but I also know how much I enjoy the anticipation of traveling, yet once I get there, can't wait to get home.

I also know I can go wine tasting, horse back riding, kayaking and white water rafting right here in the states. Travel time would be considerably less, I wouldn't have to be away from home [and off the bike] for so long, and it would be considerably less expensive, but I wouldn't be experiencing all the culture and uniqueness of South America.

BIG SIGH! I'm just not sure what to do.

Comments

Marie said…
I say go for it! I had a chance to go to Peru for a week and I did the big trek down! Very Worth it!!!!
Marc said…
Yeah Marie, but you only did it for a week. If I was only going for a week, that is to Patagonia and back, I would. But I hate to travel all that distance, and not also visit the wine country, Buenos Aires and Santiago.

I am actually leaning against it right now, as I know Edie really doesn't want to go, but we've still got a little time to decide.
Gerry said…
Go to Paris and Italy with us next April and you can do all those things but still have the 12 hour flight, just stay longer.
See you on the road
GP
Marc said…
White water rafting in Paris or Italy. I don't think so, but I will think about it.

Popular posts from this blog

The green tea phenomenon

Despite being a heavy drinker of green tea since my diagnosis, mainly for its cancer prevention, and hopefully cancer curing qualities, I recently have developed a new found enthusiasm for green tea. Now whether it has been the green tea I have been drinking for the past 6+ years, my heavy exercise routine, or just pure chance that has kept my MCL stable, or at least [very] slow progressing, for the past 7+ years is certainly open to debate, but based on past research, I have chosen to believe green tea has at least helped to some degree. So what has given me this new found enthusiasm? Well, a friend of mine, and cycling buddy, was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and knowing my daily regimen called to ask my advice on green tea. He had already done a lot of research on the subject, so when I told him my obsession with green tea consisted principally of drinking the least expensive, decaffeinated green tea available (Trader Joe's brand of 18 tea bags for $3, and more recentl...

Alternative treatment blowback

I received some interesting criticism the other day for my stance on alternative therapies. I ......... cannot for the life of me understand why you would not use supplementation and then use an over the counter poisonous liquid which has proven liver toxicity. Especially while taking a statin. She was referring to the use of an over the counter cough medication, I have been taking to help ease the symptoms of my upper respiratory infection. I did this once and vow to never use it again! I have gotten off Lipitor by using Nicotinic Acid and getting much better results but still use COQ10 to protect Liver as you must do while taking Statins. If you are not using CoQ10, I urge you to research this issue. MCL reduces your D3 and should be taken everyday! I use 5000mgs a day. I was sorta taken aback. She was partially correct. I'm against taking supplements, but when necessary I don't have a problem taking over the counter medication, when my ailments finally get the better of me. ...

When is enough, enough?

Today I learned, Lance Armstrong, the most drug tested athlete in the history of sport, is being accused of doping, again . This time by the US Anti Doping Agency (USADA), who claim they have collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.” Really! What took them so long? The French have been trying to make allegations of drug doping stick for years, ever since he won his first Tour d'France, but to no avail. And now the USADA claims to have evidence to support that claim, and they've waited almost 3 years before releasing this evidence. Needless to say, I am skeptical. Then there's this from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO): Increasing the federal excise tax on cigarettes by 50 cents per pack eventually would increase Medicare and Social Security spending, slightly. Eventually? What is the CBO suggesting here? That we should encourage smoking, because if we don't, in...